Car Garage Part 2
Ah cars...we dropped my van off at the repair emporium today. The air conditioning died last fall. Earlier this week I took it my local gas station/garage but they couldn't fix it, that the problem appears to be in the electrical system and is keeping the compressor from starting, and they couldn't fix that. Okay, I know what a compressor is but this is beyond my ken. So we went to larger auto repair place here in town that does all sorts of autos including one like mine. As I mentioned before, reputations spread like wildfire in this small town and this place is one of two larger auto repair places that seems reliable. But still I feel ignorant and like I am casting my fate to the winds. My van is a few years old but the mileage is low. I want this be the last car I buy. I fear seeing $$ flying out the window, but hubby melts when the temps reach 72, I'm okay up to 90 with the windows open but we get small and large dust storms here in the summer and who needs that in the car? I also cart several small, granddaughters around on a regular basis. Blah, blah, blah. So into the garage it went.
I've heard that stuff about how your car says who you are. Maybe, I guess to some degree my cars say I'm more practical than fanciful. Most of my life, I have driven small station wagons including a red pinto wagon in the 70's that lasted forever with no problems. They were easy on the mileage, and held my two kids and all our junk. When both sons moved out the same summer I got a Ford Ranger XLT, a great little truck for an empty nest single mom who did her own dump runs and still camped. The last wagon was a dark green Ford Focus wagon which worked for traveling with friends and carrying the two toddlers in our family. The two have become 9 of assorted ages. Now I have a Kia Sedona van and except for the a/c I like it a lot. I got it used with 15,000 miles on it. It's fun to drive and while it doesn't fit the "green" option for gas mileage at about 22 mpg on the highway, it does have a 5 star crash rating. An accident I could walk away from at 40 might do me in at 67. And I can just squeeze in six grand-girls and their assorted booster seats, including a 2 year-old still needing a heavy duty car seat. The safety issue is no small feature. The doors shut with a solid thunk, and the driver's seat is nice and high, I can see very well out of it. And if I ever want to run away from home I can toss the backseats into garage (well, not toss maybe) and sleep in the back until I want to come back. Beware hubby (mad laughter, ha, ha, ha).
Labels: A/C, auto repairs, gas mileage

6 Comments:
Your wagon has been serving you well, other than the AC, it appears. My ol Ford Explorer, which I bought from a local used, has served me well. She has hauled so many things big and small, young & old. Her maintenance is important because I never want to have to buy another vehicle. But her AC has gone caput, like yours. No one has been able to figure out what is wrong, or no fixie, as they say.
OK, I lied I do still want to get an old MGB to race around in.
Great post. I hope you get your AC sorted out economically. One could not survive in Florida without it.
I have been buckling granddaughters and their assorted seats for years too. Now I only have one that officially needs a booster seat, but when the young son takes a wife, I will be back to square one again no doubt.
I absolutely must must drive only Hondas. That would be because Hub manages a Honda dealership. I have had CRV's and Pilots. Right now I am leasing(no deals for wife)a 2008 Pilot that is a total waste for my use only. It has the DVD player in the back and all the bells and whistles. The darn thing never plays unless they are visiting. When my lease is up next year I will probably lease the Hybrid Insight and rent a van when they come to visit. I have just gotten used to driving a bigger vehicle because I feel safer, and I haul assorted plants and shrubbery from the nursery.
So I don't know. I am probably all talk. Yes, there is the living out of one's car factor when running away from home to consider, and if car sales don't pick up, I may have to take up residence in my SUV! I think that Kia makes a lovely safe van, but I am not allowed to say so. You didn't hear it here.
LOL..have a great weekend Celia!
Cheers,
Sue.
Remember the days when our kids had no carseats? We used to hold babies on our laps (or breastfeed them while hubby was driving). No seatbelts either. I tell my daughter that and she cringes. Now, as you mentioned, there is a whole lot of parifenalia (how do you spell that word?) perafanelia? - whatever, when you take kids for a ride in the car. Toys, sippy cups, diapers, water bottles, snacks, etc. etc.
I was in Sedona, Az with a friend a few years ago, and we met up with some ladies for a "vortex" tour. One of these ladies was in her 60's. She informed us that she'd up and left home. Got into her car and just drove away. Didn't know where she was going. Just went.
I thought that rather strange!
oh, lordy, good luck! i don't do over 72 without A/C either! i know how you feel about car repairs. fortunately, we feel comfortable with our repairmen who actually work at a dealer here! i never thought i would say those words, but they are true. there have been times in our lives, however, when we were scammed beyond description by small and large repair shops alike.
i love our van, too. we don't have to haul anyone to have a full load...all sorts of junk across the seat behind us, then plants and groceries in the back along with a large box of goodies for "in case." you know, in case we get stuck in the woods, in case it gets cold, in case we need to sleep in the van, in case it rains, in case we need to change clothes, in case...,etc.! i have been reminded that we are not leaving the united states, and we can buy what we need should emergencies occur!
Forgive me for answering all at once.
Wendy - I do remember the no carseat days. Many of us have scars on our faces to show for it. By '74 we could get them for our kids, but they were hard to find. Kept them from falling out among other things.
Sky - My van is a goody wagon too. My grandgirls know if they need a snack after school when I pick them up there will at least be breakfast bars in the cubbie. I also keep my hiking boots, a sleeping bag, and my bag of extra winter clothes in there too, socks, hat, mittens, and polypro shirts. And I carry water and ha,ha, duct tape.
Brighid - I want a 50's vintage Mercedes 190SL. Wanna race?
Sue - Hondas are great, that's all my sister drives but thanks for the vote of confidence for the Kia.
I follow your blog for a long time and must tell you that your posts always prove to be of a high value and quality for readers.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home