Carts of Darkness
I didn't make this title up. Hubby gets email from the Canadian National Film Board with films they promote, watchable on their site. The last one was about the documentry "Carts of Darkness." I laughed when I saw the title but I wasn't laughing later. The protagonists include filmmaker Murray Siple, a young man in a wheelchair, and several men living primarily on the streets of Vancouver, B.C. who are also linked as they pick bottles and cans for cash. It lasts an hour and it is more than worth the viewing. I personally don't buy the idea that people, especially the elderly and kids, want to live on the street and Murray Siple has provided the evidence. And he has shown the humanity of these men. The mens' lives are drawn against the glorious backdrop of a sunlit, prosperous Vancouver. You can watch it on your computer. Be prepared to spend an hour. It will give you a new view of homelessness, break your heart in places, and you won't ever see grocery carts the same way again. http://www3.nfb.ca/webextension/carts-of-darkness/about.php
The film's music is contemporary and wonderful. The closing piece "Don't Run Our Hearts Around," is by Black Mountain, a self described Canadian psychedelic rock band. I can't speak for the complete album, haven't heard it yet. Here's a video for the song on You Tube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2UgtzVMsM.
The film's music is contemporary and wonderful. The closing piece "Don't Run Our Hearts Around," is by Black Mountain, a self described Canadian psychedelic rock band. I can't speak for the complete album, haven't heard it yet. Here's a video for the song on You Tube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2UgtzVMsM.
Labels: aging, CNBF, film, homeless, Murray Siple

3 Comments:
haven't seen it yet but will. just wanted to say that my career in social work in metroplitan atlanta brought me in touch with homeless men and women along the way. i recall 2 who were homeless by choice....both alcoholics, unknown to each other until they became "street friends." both had families and homes they left behind to live on the street where they could drink without confrontation or criticism. they left their homes for the freedom to drink without having to defend themselves. she had been an english teacher earlier in her life. someone in my office recognized her. he simply tired of the "house rules." he died after a snow storm froze the earth he slept on. it almost froze him. he went into the lobby of a metro hospital and died on a sofa from congestive heart failure. i lost track of her before i relocated to seattle. i spent many lunch breaks through the years looking for him when he was missing from his regular turf, under a magnolia tree outside my office window. i was always afraid he was scorching somewhere in the hot, georgia sun in a state of drink-induced unconsciousness. their lives were such sad commentary on addiction and the loss it enforces.
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I have so many comments to catch up on and blogs to read, but wanted to let you know I appreciated your input.
Sky, Thanks for an extra view of the homeless and for reminding me of the varieties of ways people can choose to live their lives. I was employed in a not-for-profit social services organization and I also found myself watching for old clients after I left, sad to find them once again in the court reports.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home