In the corner on the far side of the cookbook shelf was my grandmother’s 1933 “Balanced Recipes by Pillsbury.” My Dad gave it to me when Grandma Laura died. She had a hearing problem from a childhood illness and until she died she called the company Phillsbury. This cookbook is in a 6”x9” aluminum book cover formed like a box with hinges attaching both covers. Those covers snap together in the front. When it is closed it completely seals the cookbook. The recipes are bound in an eleven ring binder inside with section tabs. The recipes are on small recipe card size pages, therefore the need for eleven rings. On the back of each recipe are hints and notes for "the inquiring cook.” It’s in remarkably good shape for being over 75 years old. I can’t believe I forgot it was there.
The true treasure however, unnoticed by me ever before, was inside the back cover. Recipes, many of them handwritten by Grandma, some cut out of newspapers and magazines were hiding in there. I see a page of sauces recipes from a 1954 Colliers magazine and recipes from a 1952 Longview (WA) Daily News. And, there are several recipes for applesauce cake including one from the back of insert from a Pyrex baking dish. in my mind I can smell warm, yummy, applesauce cake in her kitchen. I am so glad to have this, and happy to have the notes she personally wrote, and a little peek into her life. The kids will have wait for this one.

4 Comments:
I have saved my M.I.L's recipe box and use her recipes from time to time. My mom was not the best cook and I have not idea what my sister saved from her stuff! I wonder if years from now everything will be on the computer---either scanned or downloaded favorites and how will these be passed along?
Good question Tabor. I personally plan on scanning and/or typing the handwritten ones and pass them on to my sisters on disc or email. I have some of my favorites in a file on my PC. But I sure like a cookbook in my hand. Maybe Kindle holds an answer. I wonder if we are looking at the demise of the printed word, I hope not.
I have my mother's recipe box. It is made of wood and holds the usual recipe card size. She has stuffed in recipes cut out from newspapers and magazines too. Cooking in those days is not the same as today. Some of her recipes make me laugh, but others I treasure. Just looking at mom's handwritting brings her back to me - just for a little while.
what a treasure! i'd say you had a great day. do you often get this urge to purge and organize? i could send a car for you to come here and begin the same tasks. perhaps you could even infuse me with the toxin of the bug that has bitten you. ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home