My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

Lots of us get Internet through their local cable company. Per the Monday Seattle Times : http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorialsopinion/2009090513_edita21cable.html. It's about Time Warner wanting to charge from $15 to $150 a month in tiered units of gigabytes and uploads and downloads would be capped. This is disturbing news to me and I'm sure that even though they failed in this attempt I'm certain they will be back. This is not an industry or company I'm fond of so I am writing to my congress people in hopes of fending them off. Here's a handy site to locate yours. http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/ I think we pay more than enough now for this product and cable's lackadaisical service. The cable is on our list of things to go bye-bye if the economy squeezes us too hard or if hubby were to lose his job.

One other thing I'm pondering today regards the commentary on these online news articles, at least in the Seattle Times. There are so many truly rude and hostile people out behaving badly online. At times the commentary collapses into an online fire fight and not always about the subject of the post. Thank you fellow bloggees for your continued kindness towards me and each other.

And then there's Mrs. Chicken.


Fun Stuff. The Candian National Film Board site is becoming one of my favorites. It has some great cartoons on it. I love this one http://www.nfb.ca/film/at-home-with-mrs-hen/. This is their web site http://www.nfb.ca/explore-by/title/?page=2&title_range=a&lang=en . Reminds me of when I had a picky eater for a toddler.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sky said...

cable is on our list, too. i hate living with the continuous concern of layoffs pending, having no idea what our future holds.

yes, i see the very hateful comments in the times, too. they are very hurtful, and sometimes feel very personal.

the animation was so cute. i loved it. thanks for the link.

April 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to my own NFB of Canada, and watched the sweet Mrs. Chicken film after you posted the Carts of Darkness. I was delighted that you reminded me of the site, because I have seen so many great films on our Canadian Documentary channel, and I forgotten what I was missing. The "Carts" film was so moving.

This tiered usage of internet is becoming a big problem everywhere. Embarq has not tried these shenanigans here yet, but I am sure it is coming. Yes, there seems to be more hate spewing in public forums than ever before. Boy, I could go on about that.

I did politely write President Obama,my Congresswoman and Senator about the tactics of credit card institutions on those who are in over there heads already. I was so happy when I heard today that something was going to be done sooner than July 2010. It sure is nice to have a voice in two great countries.

Always nice to connect with your thoughtful words Celia..

Sue.

April 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home