My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

All The Small Things

It's getting late and this time of night my mind wanders somewhat. We just had our 5th wedding anniversary this month. I was looking through my pictures and found this one. I wonder if my husband really knew what he was getting into. The caption for this picture might be "What do you mean there are seven more?" or "Yes, she really is coming home with us." The wedding was made up of many small things. Many small grandkids. We were over the legal limit for flower girls. We are cutting up a small cake, there was a larger one but the caterer (oh no, you didn't!) cut it up for us. Maybe it was all the extra cakes that threw the cake cutter off. We had this little extra cake just in case we ran out and, there was another cake for a good friend who celebrated his birthday by attending our wedding with his wife. So we surprised him and and sang him happy birthday. It was all in all a good party.

And my small house is filled with smaller houses. There are three functional dollhouses here, and one under construction. The girls are hoping I will get started on the in construction soon again. I am trying to clear out some space to get at it. What is that fascination with little things, the smaller the better? I have my original dollhouse from (gasp) 1946, and even a little of the furniture. That in itself is amazing considering that when my sister and I got through playing dollhouse we took the chimney off and rode the roof like a horse. I bought little dollhouse stuff to put in the not yet built dollhouse. Tiny dishes, itty bitty furniture; I made tiny books, tiny record albums. (ha! who has albums anymore?) Actually this is the second not-built dollhouse. The first is a three story, 10 room Victorian that I bought myself for my birthday one year. I can be overly enthusiastic at times. I decided I needed to start smaller and now have a 6 room doll house that is started but not by very much. Maybe I can work my way down to a two room doll cabin I won't finish. That didn't keep me from buying little bathroom fixtures, two sets of Victorian bathroom fixtures actually. In my enthusiam I sometimes forget what I have stashed away. A lot of it is from garage sales, other people building dollhouses and giving up. That's it people, just give up and let me have your little tiny furniture.

And rocks. Any rock gatherers out there? I have agates I found with my Dad and he polished for me, and rocks from nearly every river in this state. I have glass bowls with rocks in them all over the house. My jade plant has two humungous pink quartz chunks and a bunch of crystals around. My whole family seems to collect rocks. And fossils. And marbles, the marbles I had when I was a kid plus some newer ones also in a glass bowl. So ha, I do have all my marbles. I need some tiny rocks to put in a tiny bowl in one of those dollhouses. And tiny pictures of those grandkids for the little walls. What walls, better get out the Elmers and start building again.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sky said...

well, aren't you just the "handy" girl? i could not build a dollhouse if my life depended on it! hope you will finish one of them and take some photos for us. i love the idea of all the tiny little home accessories and furniture, and i bet i know about a little granddaughter who will love all those tiny things, too!

May 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I have the dollhouse my father built for my daughter that is in terrible disrepair and I just cannot find the time to work on it...maybe I should send it your way?

May 29, 2009 at 4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, that's a picture of you and your husband? Good grief you look so young! What a great looking couple! I think that your doll house fetish is so cool. Now that you have your new camera we want to see them. We also would like to see your rocks and marbles. I collect scads of shells because they are just so darn close. My marbles disappeared years ago as you can probably tell.

May 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks Tabor for the faith that I could repair anything, maybe, maybe not, still two dollhouses behind. Hard knowing what to do with those family treasures.

May 29, 2009 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

That is my husband and I, five years younger than we are now but we haven't completely fallen apart. And I am kind of handy, have put up fence, installed toilets, and dry hung dry wall in my day. These days not so much. Tiny things are so much more manageable.

May 29, 2009 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

You have installed toilets and hung dry wall?????? MY goodness! There is no way I would even attempt that kind of repair. I take my hat off to you!

I also am fascinated by doll houses. Haven't attempted to built one yet, but I did go so far as to buy a book on building dollhouses when I was taking a woodworking course.

Yes, I also have rocks. Mine are squirreled away in cloth bags. Rarely do I take them out and roll them around in my hands anymore.

I agree with Florida Sue - you do make a lovely couple! Happy Anniversary! May is a magic month!
Hugs

May 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home