My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Flowers Everywhere

We have a lot of damage in our yard from the winter snow and long periods of night and day freezing this winter. Several very tall pyrmidalis are bent clear to the ground. However on the up side, the roses seem to have thrived on it as well as assorted bulbs I had given up for lost in the last two or three years. The climbing rose on the back deck has taken off and is covered with blooms and tons of buds. This rose is spread over several trellis (trellisi?) and is shading our deck which gets the worst of the afternoon sun here.


In the back near the garage little clumps of spiderwort I planted have spread mightily, weed-like actually and are surrounding the pots of petunias we planted this year and are reaching for the ginko tree I have out there. Guess I will have to haul the shovel out and do some thinning.

Here's more spiderwort draping itself over the pink snapdragons. Some of the other things seem to be slow in coming along. Maybe we need to water more. We have already had three days in a row of 90 degree heat. Still, there are poppies getting ready to bloom and some little wild red columbine from Mt. Rainier that we planted a couple of years ago. The columbine is in the shade and it does need water. It's a long way from the forested canopy in the Cascades. We've started experimenting with plants that don't require a lot of water.

Hope your gardens are growing well in your own climate. Meanwhile we will keep searching for those xeriscape plants.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

Very nice. I always get ideas from people's gardens. Mine is such a baby yet.

May 31, 2009 at 4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great camera. All of your plants look terrific. The roses always seem to do better when they have a good protective cover of snow all winter. Mine always did poorly in Ontario when we had a freeze-thaw kind of winter. I would love to see more pictures of your roses scrambling over your trellises. Can you tell I love roses? I hope you had a great weekend Celia, and that you are feeling your best.

May 31, 2009 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Love your pics. I do enjoy seeing what is in everybody's garden. Spiderwort sounds so gross, but the flowers are truly lovely.

It's been cold and rainy now for a few days - feels like a few weeks!! Wish you'd send us some sunshine! LOL!

May 31, 2009 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger musingwoman said...

So lovely! I live in an apartment complex so don't have my own garden, but I do enjoy looking at yours. :)

May 31, 2009 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

beautiful! we lost several plants in the vicious winter of western washington, 2008-09. made me very sad, especially since one was planted in memory of an uncle whose love for the osmanthus is why we bought and planted ours. we will be posting photos soon of our spring successes.

June 1, 2009 at 2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home