Sailing Away - Almost
Last Sunday we gassed up the truck and set off for a three hour cruise (that sounds ominous) on the Hawaiian Chieftain accompanied by the Lady Washington. First the gas pirates got us.

Several of the crew climbed up and unfurled the sails. Later on they let those of us who were game for it climb into the harness and climb the rigging ourselves. Yours truly chickened out and stayed on the deck, telling herself it was too hot to do that.

We chose the travel on the Hawaiian Chieftain so we could get better pictures of the Lady Washington a.k.a. The Black Pearl, and we did. I am sorry to say the pictures I got of the HC did not turn out so hot. It was another learning experience for me with the new camera. I did, however get this nice shot below of the Lady Washington firing her cannons at us. Our crew had fired their cannons several times much to the delight of all and several small boats motoring around us. The gunner gave a very interesting talk about how the little 3 pound cannons worked, how the dummy shot worked, and how they took care of them. I learned among other things that they were called 3 pounders because the ball they could fire weighed 3 pounds, duh! And that on a good day the shot could travel up to a mile. He explained the ballistics techniques and artistry that would send a large cannon ball through the front or the back of another ship thereby making a big hole possibly all the way the opposition's vessel. Scary.
I'd do it again. I think one of things that surprised me the most is the small size of the ships especially relative to distances they sailed these ships in their day. I think next time we'll try to get closer to the ocean with them. Their home port is Aberdeen, Washington. They are currently plying the waters of the Columbia River heading back towards Astoria and then up the coast into Puget Sound. If you have any interest they have a schedule on their website. In addition if you have sailing skills, or other necessary skills you could spend your vacation volunteering on one of these ships. http://www.ladywashington.org/
We boarded the Hawaiian Chieftain around 10am. That was a good thing and a bad thing. The good part the weather turned out unseasonably hot, morning was better, and I have nothing but pity for the afternoon cruisers. But alas, there was little sailing for there was no wind. Perhaps the PM cruisers got some of the afternoon wind that can whip up on the Columbia River at this eastern end of the gorge. Now that the complaining is out of the way. I have to say we had a good time. One of the things I love about these ships and wooden boats in general is the magnificent woodwork and the brass fittings. Below is a picture of the door into the crew's quarters.
We motored out into the channel and the crew went aloft and hoisted the sails. Note the sailing lingo here me hearties. And, I loved this guy's hat.
Several of the crew climbed up and unfurled the sails. Later on they let those of us who were game for it climb into the harness and climb the rigging ourselves. Yours truly chickened out and stayed on the deck, telling herself it was too hot to do that.
We chose the travel on the Hawaiian Chieftain so we could get better pictures of the Lady Washington a.k.a. The Black Pearl, and we did. I am sorry to say the pictures I got of the HC did not turn out so hot. It was another learning experience for me with the new camera. I did, however get this nice shot below of the Lady Washington firing her cannons at us. Our crew had fired their cannons several times much to the delight of all and several small boats motoring around us. The gunner gave a very interesting talk about how the little 3 pound cannons worked, how the dummy shot worked, and how they took care of them. I learned among other things that they were called 3 pounders because the ball they could fire weighed 3 pounds, duh! And that on a good day the shot could travel up to a mile. He explained the ballistics techniques and artistry that would send a large cannon ball through the front or the back of another ship thereby making a big hole possibly all the way the opposition's vessel. Scary.
I'd do it again. I think one of things that surprised me the most is the small size of the ships especially relative to distances they sailed these ships in their day. I think next time we'll try to get closer to the ocean with them. Their home port is Aberdeen, Washington. They are currently plying the waters of the Columbia River heading back towards Astoria and then up the coast into Puget Sound. If you have any interest they have a schedule on their website. In addition if you have sailing skills, or other necessary skills you could spend your vacation volunteering on one of these ships. http://www.ladywashington.org/ Labels: becalmed, tall ships, vacation



7 Comments:
Love the gas sign! I think these old ships are magnificent, but it must have been a hard life for the crew. It looks like a wonderful tour.
this sounds like so much fun. are there comfortable places to sit on these ships? i would love to do this when they are in the Sound if the scheduling works out, but with back/muscle spasm issues i would need somewhere reasonably comfortable to sit.
It was a great tour, Sue.
Sky - And the seating was just okay midship but I believe they will make accomodations for you if you call or email ahead and arrange it with them. A fellow passenger told me the seating on the bow was pretty good but we were in the center most of the time so I can't verify that.
What fun! and that gas sign almost made me choke on the pecan roll I was eating. :D
I love that pic of the sailing ship! It looks like something out of our history books. It must have been exciting! Don't think I would have climbed up those ropes either. Was that a true gas sign? Or did somebody put those words up as a joke? Ya never know these days!
Celia, I have an award for you to put on your blog..
ATTA GIRL!
Thanks Sue, my first. ;-)
Wendy - a for real gas station sign, they've returned to posting the steadily rising real prices now. I think I liked the arm and leg better.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home