My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Our Little Town

My eldest and I were walking into Safeway to do a little grocery shopping this weekend. A woman close to my age was walking behind us and stepped into a hole crashing on her side onto the blacktop. By the time we had turned around two men had reached her and another was on his way. They helped her sit up when she was able, and when she was ready they helped her to her feet and supported her while she checked out her ability to walk. They were offering to take her to ER but she declined and drove away. It made me tear up a little.

It happens all the time here. Last summer I was driving by when I saw an older man sitting on the grass just tumble over. I parked and several others did too. There was some concern that he may have been drunk but it deterred no one from getting help. We checked to see if he was breathing, he was, and someone had already called the Medics who pulled up within five minutes and began treating him. Everyone was gentle and concerned. Last winter my son had a flat in the snow, people helped him change it, and get him out of the snow and saw him on his way. The stocking of the distressed food banks here is a highly visible community effort even as we watch shops, restaurants, and businesses here close. And, unlike my former urban home, people here on both sides of the road pull over and wait when the police or the fire department sirens sound.

Things are so tough in our nation these days that these acts of kindness really squeeze my heart and that's what makes me a little weepy when I see and hear these things that people do for each other.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

I like hearing the niceness of people in a town. This is a really good thing. Maybe you guys should bottle it and send it to some other places that don't have the gentleness and fearlessness your citizens have!

July 13, 2009 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks, I wish I could bottle it.

July 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A large town near where I live consists of well off retirees and when I go there to shop I sometimes wonder if selflessness shrinks as some people get older. Maybe some of these folks were just self centered all of their lives. They are a monied lot for the most part and I sometimes just marvel at their sense of entitlement. It's a whole little world of self absorption and I never would have believed it until I witnessed it over and over.

July 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I also like to hear of people helping others. And random acts of kindness too. It restores my faith in mankind. I live in a small town too and people here to help one another. As a matter of fact, I was just leaving the grocery store the other day when an elderly lady approached me and asked if I had a car. "yes," I answered, a little puzzled by her question. "would you mind giving me a lift home. My shopping is rather heavy and I don't think I can walk all that way."
Only in Hudson, I thought as I drove her home. I guess to be more accurate - only in a small town would someone feel safe and comfortable enough to ask a stranger for a ride.
Hugs

July 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

such a kind community you belong to. i will never forget when i was visiting nyc in the '80s and a woman was hit by a car while crossing the street. i was the ONLY person who got down on the pavement with her, the only one who hollered for someone who had a phone to dial 911. everyone else walked by like she was not even there. i was stunned, southern girl that i am! it is always heart warming to see people help each other. acknowledging the connection that we all have is critical to everyone's survival.

July 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Brighid said...

We need more small towns in this world.

July 15, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home