My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Twilight in the Garden of Good and Weevils

I posted one of my niece's Twilight photos of our garden and here are some more. It amazed me how different the garden looks at night. Here are the un-sleeping daisies. Thank you Sophie.



A reprise of the wraith-like white rose with just a tinge of pink left in the center.

What is this? The garage roof with a UFO on it, hovering over our overgrown tarragon, and spiky raspberry bushes. Are they friendly Mr. Spock?


Here's the cedar arch which will support the two Black Prince grape vines that are finally growing and leafing out on either side of it. You can't live in Walla Walla and not plant grapes. This is also the gateway to the serene space that our backyard has become.


The magic house bell, to warn of invaders such as big winds, squirrels, and small children bouncing on the deck. It's currently covered with the spider webs that are endemic here. Our house at times looks like a giant spider has wrapped us up. We encourage our archnids since they gobble up mosquitoes and other undesirable garden bugs.


A nightowl raspberry, not quite ripe enough to gobble. These are the most delicious raspberries I have ever grown. We've shared the sprouts which grow like crazy in the spring and take hold just about everywhere.
A yellow Asiatic lily. These are from some bulbs I rescued about three years ago. A couple of lillies appeared at first, the next year several, and this year they are abundant in yellow and orange.

Had lots of yellow daylillies and I ordered these rose daylillies, along with red ones, orange, and some purported to be blue actually kind of lavender. The red and blue didn't make it but these rose colored ones seem to be happy and making new ones.

At last the orange Asiatic lily also a rescued bulb from seasonal leftovers. Doing quite well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

Beautiful photos. Looks like you have a great garden.
I wonder what that light on your roof is?
Your lilies are lovely. We have a terrible lily bug here & all mine were ruined so I don't bother to try to grow them anymore but I do love them.
Thanks for following me!

July 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I tried to post a comment in Firefox but it seems only Internet Explorer will let me post to you! You have lovely flowers day or night. What variety of raspberry are your growing?

July 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Hi Maggie Nay - welcome, we were guessing that the light on the roof may have been something on the lens. We haven't been able to reproduce it.

Tabor - One of my sisters, who is on IE has trouble posting. I don't know what kind of raspberries except they are disease free for 10 years now, early summer, small to medium berries, and very winter hardy. Our extension service thought they might be a variety called Comet, or Prelude, they have no thorns to speak of either.

July 6, 2009 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

lovely photos..

July 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Ah Wendy, read your post, enjoyed it, and then had a brain hiccup and hit reject instead of publish. Crikey, amazing to hear about the tossed out bulbs.

July 7, 2009 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I think there is some weird energy going on in the air these days. LOL

July 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home