Sojourn by the Sea
We had a little getaway a little while back. We stayed near Westport, WA where I lived when I was pre-school age. I haven't been there for quite sometime. It always seemed like a kind of homecoming to me but this time it didn't. Our old house, surprisingly, is still there. I failed to take a picture of it or much of anything else in Westport. I was sort of shocked by how dreary it seemed to me. How it looked like it was melting into the ground in the winter rain. It's very gray and rainy there fall and winter. Has it really changed or it is me, and my view. We got out and traveled around and went to Tokeland which I enjoy seeing. It's a crabbing port south of Westport which has managed not wash out to sea over the years. There's lots of land erosion there. The highway keeps getting relocated. My favorite house was still there. I always wonder but never really want to know who lives there. I prefer to imagine.

When we arrived the crab boat crews were quitting for the day. The season hadn't quite started so I think they were readying the vessel for the opener. This one the Gale Force was loaded with her crab pots and looked to be ready to go. I played on boats like this as a little kid and love the smell of the docks, salt air, and yes, the diesel, and crabby, fishy smell. Smells like home to me. Did I mention one of my favorite programs was "The Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel.
When we arrived the crab boat crews were quitting for the day. The season hadn't quite started so I think they were readying the vessel for the opener. This one the Gale Force was loaded with her crab pots and looked to be ready to go. I played on boats like this as a little kid and love the smell of the docks, salt air, and yes, the diesel, and crabby, fishy smell. Smells like home to me. Did I mention one of my favorite programs was "The Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel.

1 Comments:
glad to see you again. we will have to check out the crab boats when we are back in the westport area.
we crabbed off piers on the st. john river near st augustine, florida when i was a kid. distant cousins managed a fish camp there. i remember it vividly. when we visited florida beaches each year my father loved to check out the fishing boats coming in each evening with their daily catch so we would head to those docks late in the afternoons.
(hubby loves to watch "the deadliest catch," too. many of the alaskan fishermen live in the seattle area.)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home