My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pardon me but my age is showing!

Richard Harris in the '60's.

I'm home with a hacking cold and have glued myself to my computer. I found myself looking actresses and actors, okay, mostly actors, who were interesting to me when I was younger, in my 20's and 30's. Men like Michael Caine, Richard Burton, and Richard Harris. The first film I saw Harris in was "This Sporting Life" in 1963, he received "Best Actor" at Cannes, and later there was "The Field" in 1990 for which he received an Academy Award Nomination for "Best Actor"; he had quite a career before Harry Potter. My young sons and I saw him in Seattle onstage in "Camelot." He did appear to be a wee bit drunk, but he was marvelous and thrilling to watch.
Add Peter O'Toole and Robert Shaw, who was also an author of some success. Did anyone else see Richard Burton's "Hamlet?" I guess the official title was "Richard Burton's Hamlet." It had a wildly successful theater run, was filmed and was released for one week only in September of 1964. It received poor reviews much to my puzzlement, ahead of its time maybe. Then all copies were destroyed and it was thought to be gone until Burton's widow found a copy in their house. I think its out on DVD so maybe you can check it out yourself if you are inclined. Okay, so Michael Caine is still around as is Peter O'Toole, just barely. And, why am I looking up old, dead, guys anyway? I must be feeling mortal while trying to crack a rib coughing. Or just morbid.

There are some more recent vintages; I really admire Gabriel Byrne, really admire him, yum, and Daniel Day-Lewis, Pierce Brosnan, and Colin Farrell ("In Bruges" is wonderful), and they are Irishmen all, well, Day-Lewis is half-Irish but so am I. But I didn't bother to look them up today. Except for young Colin they are all better behaved than their predecessors and certainly quite talented. Still I miss those other guys. The world I came out of is swiftly disappearing. Maybe I'd better score a version of Burton's "Hamlet" to share with my grandkids. Some are being home schooled, I can run the Film Portion of The Curriculum. I got the 12 year old to watch the 1956 "War and Peace" with Henry Fonda and Audrey Hepburn. When they are older, if I can get a copy of it I will try to lure them into watching the 1967-68 Russian version "Voyna i mir," in segments though, it is 7 hours long but majestic and follows the book very closely; and it is gorgeous.
Audrey Hepburn, if I'm too bleary to read this afternoon, I'll look her up, for starters. Off for a nap.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

I hope you are feeling better very soon and that you enjoyed your nap.
1960s films. Yes, it is good to go back and think about them.
I enjoyed the epic films *Sparticus* and *The Ten Commandments.* I cried buckets over the first one.Kirk Douglas was my favourite! Charlton Heston as well.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

July 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home