O' to be an Artist again - a loooong story.
Once upon a time, in a land faraway, I used to be an artist. I have an art degree but I was not able to actually support myself at it. This a sad truth for many artists of all kinds but I worked instead as an illustrator of airplane parts, a graphic designer of technical manuals and so on. Those were distantly related venues which had the advantage of not being the kind of work you had to think about at home and so did not interfere with my "real" life. I made stained glass windows for residences, I painted acrylics and sold them, took a turn at designing and making quilts; for a time had a freelance business doing design and graphics for other businesses. With two children and a husband and I was pretty well employed 18 hours a day for a long time. I still painted less and less, did photography but the art part was slipping away. I changed occupations by returning to school and becoming a computer programmer and "unthinkingly" changed brain realms from left to right. She who had been math avoidant discovered numbers could be our friends.
Then one of those life events happened to me after what should have been a low impact surgery for a kidney stone. I was overdosed with morphine (I am physically quite drug intolerant) and had what they referred to as a possible cerebral event. That means they thought I had a little stroke. I still cannot remember anything from the six months before that happened. I found I could not read and comprehend the computer programs I had myself written at work in the last year. I was scared. And I could not draw at all. Peculiarly, I did however recover memories from my childhood which were new to me the result of some kind of neural scramble. Eventually the programming skills returned but I no longer liked it. I changed jobs to software testing which was less taxing and took up walking and exercising more. I began a sketch book. I tacked a huge cardboard carton to the wall of my kitchen and began painting a self portrait. It was great, but so personal that I eventually destroyed it. I'm sorry I did that. I haven't painted for the last ten years, I have taken some pottery classes and a watercolor class in the interim but nothing permanent has emerged. Then last year I bought myself a nice camera. Turns out my photography skills have suffered as well. But I am making myself a photographic sketch book and giving it another shot. I hope to use these for source material for painting.
These are some of the pictures I've got. Actually now there are hundreds. There's no theme. I trying to conquer the craft of good photos first. I find myself wondering if I could make notecards to sell at the Farmers' Market here. And how much would a decent printer cost, can I make my collapsing garage into a studio. Who would buy my stuff?
I have many photos of empty, abandoned buildings which fascinate me but that's for another time. These are just some that I liked.I don't know what these flowers blowing in the wind are but they grow all over the Oregon coast in the summer between Canon Beach and Tillamook and probably other places. All a delicious orange.
This one of my grandgirls four farm cats, farm cats, ha, they all live in the house. He has a formal name but they all call him Market Cat!? He just wandered in out of the fields and shoved the other three out of the way and never left.
Then one of those life events happened to me after what should have been a low impact surgery for a kidney stone. I was overdosed with morphine (I am physically quite drug intolerant) and had what they referred to as a possible cerebral event. That means they thought I had a little stroke. I still cannot remember anything from the six months before that happened. I found I could not read and comprehend the computer programs I had myself written at work in the last year. I was scared. And I could not draw at all. Peculiarly, I did however recover memories from my childhood which were new to me the result of some kind of neural scramble. Eventually the programming skills returned but I no longer liked it. I changed jobs to software testing which was less taxing and took up walking and exercising more. I began a sketch book. I tacked a huge cardboard carton to the wall of my kitchen and began painting a self portrait. It was great, but so personal that I eventually destroyed it. I'm sorry I did that. I haven't painted for the last ten years, I have taken some pottery classes and a watercolor class in the interim but nothing permanent has emerged. Then last year I bought myself a nice camera. Turns out my photography skills have suffered as well. But I am making myself a photographic sketch book and giving it another shot. I hope to use these for source material for painting.
These are some of the pictures I've got. Actually now there are hundreds. There's no theme. I trying to conquer the craft of good photos first. I find myself wondering if I could make notecards to sell at the Farmers' Market here. And how much would a decent printer cost, can I make my collapsing garage into a studio. Who would buy my stuff?
I have many photos of empty, abandoned buildings which fascinate me but that's for another time. These are just some that I liked.I don't know what these flowers blowing in the wind are but they grow all over the Oregon coast in the summer between Canon Beach and Tillamook and probably other places. All a delicious orange.
This one I love and have taken many pictures of, a little church in the dunes in a small beach town. I did'nt get one that framed it the way I wanted and will return soon to try again but I'm sketching composites to capture what it looks like to me.

And what to do with this, ha, ha, my nephew the swamp thing. Actually those are glasses that function as straws, imagine trying to clean those out, ewh! When my children were young I drew them often and their school mates as well. Sold some of those too to parents and grandparents.

I no longer, God willing, have to make money from this but I hope make enough to pay for supplies and to involve my grandkids who have less and less access to art of any kind in school. In a bad economy art suffers. I hope that concentration and practice will restore some of what I lost or misplaced over the years and that would make me very, very happy.

And what to do with this, ha, ha, my nephew the swamp thing. Actually those are glasses that function as straws, imagine trying to clean those out, ewh! When my children were young I drew them often and their school mates as well. Sold some of those too to parents and grandparents.

I no longer, God willing, have to make money from this but I hope make enough to pay for supplies and to involve my grandkids who have less and less access to art of any kind in school. In a bad economy art suffers. I hope that concentration and practice will restore some of what I lost or misplaced over the years and that would make me very, very happy.
Labels: art, happiness, photography.


4 Comments:
I a glad I got to visit when you were writing such and an honest post. I think I got to know you a little by this. Many times one has to go to the earlier posts to figure out what the blogger is all about.
Hi, Celia. Wow. What a bummer. So glad you did not suffer severe permanent damage from the "stroke" and that you were able to redirect your life.
I wish I were artistic. Glad you are moving back into the creative areas of your life again. That will have to be fulfilling in many ways. Stained glass windows would be such a thrill to make, I think. I have always admired glass work. We recently bought some beautiful fused glass pieces at a gallery on the Oregon coast.
Good luck in your endeavors. Will be reading your posts and continuing to keep up with you. So glad you are blogging again! :)
Tabor - thanks, sometimes its hard to show a true self on a blog, feels exposed somehow.
Sky - Thanks for the good wishes, fused glass is a favorite of mine too, found a place here at home that will rent a body space in their kiln. I still have a huge stash of glass.
Celia, I'm so glad I found you! Actually, I guess you found me. I am enjoying getting to know you. I believe we have lots in common and as I spend part of the year in Portland, maybe we aren't so far away after all.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home