My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Anniversary Party

We headed out for Portland last Friday and we do like visiting old remodeled hotels. So we stayed in the one in Lyle, Washington about 70+ miles from Portland. Upstairs is refurbished in a simple fashion, with bathrooms down the hall. It was easy to imagine you were traveling in the 1900's and had a layover here or were visiting. How many railway workers stopped here in its heyday. Who were they? Did anyone settle here? How hardy they must have been to endure the summer heat here and be working outside. What was it like to cook for customers in a place like this summer and winter? We have it pretty good with our air conditioning and the gourmet restaurant.

This is the original Lyle Hotel in Lyle Washington. It has since been restored and remodeled and is open for business with a lounge and a most excellent restaurant. The original settlement began around 1859; then in 1866 James O. Lyle bought out the main landholder here and voila, Lyle. In 1905 the Spokane, Portland, and Seattle railway line came to town. And, of course that's when the hotel came into being.

This is the Lyle Hotel today. It advertises 10 rooms (although ours was numbered 11?) with a central core of walk-to bathrooms and showers. Robes are provided for your stroll. It's still near the railroad tracks but the trains were not a bother and the rooms are air conditioned, amen, it was hot there. The restaurant serves food that is magnificent. Delicious, fantastic, I can't say enough about it. Or about Harry who played the ukulele and sang Hawaiian songs in the authentic Hawaiian manner.

Saturday we headed into Portland taking many pictures of Mt. Hood who was out in all her beauty along the way to Susan and Michael's 20th anniversary party. This was the best anniversary party, the best party I have been to in years. They served pulled pork, BBQ, lovely salads, all delicious and home made. My brother-in-law Michael made a special shrimp dish during the meal; an old family recipe from his father's restaurant in Florida. Yummy.

Here's my neice and her friend decorating in the yard. My nephew inflated and scattered pink flamingos around the yard. A very fine party. Happy 20th Anniversary Susan and Michael, may life bring you many loving years together.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

Dear Celia....I am newly arrived to read your blog via Tabor's pages. I have read down a few entries and discovered we have a few things in common. I too have a degree in art. I too had shows, worked as a graphic artist, worked with line illustration, newspapers, et al. I had collectible shops to pay off my student loans too....in my fifties. In 89 I had a stroke that took my hand eye coordination and my short term memory.

Today I take my Canon everywhere I go. Most days I record something, and other days I actually can still make art.

August 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

Hi Celia, one of my favorite memories in recent years was staying in an old railroad hotel in Winslow, Arizona as I was driving from Phoenix to Portland to see my kids. I can't remember the name of it, but it was beautiful and so full of history. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm now one of your followers.

August 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

It is lovely to see young children at play. They tend to liven the place up! Flamingoes make a nice change! :-)
Maggie X

Nuts in May

August 22, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home