Art for the Spirit
Saturday we went to see the dancing of Curtis Bearchum at the Whitman Mission Park. He danced for us as well as explaining the creation and tradition of the beaded and decorative costume. He showed us the pieces that make it up and how they are worn. His wife Phyllis accompanied him, and as he danced she added beads to an eagle claw rattle she had created. You can see Mr. Bearchum dancing with a similar rattle in his right hand.
Below is a closeup of the bonnet that has been handed down in the Bearchum family. The eagle feathers are very old and are decorated with fur and long white curls of horsehair.
The Whitman Mission site is of importance to both the Native American cultures here as well as the descendents of the white settlers. It's a piece of land marked marked by violence and dispute in my mind. Visiting the mission site has been disturbing to me in spiritual ways and to me its a piece of ground in need of healing. I think Mr. Bearchum's dancing here has helped to further that healing and I thank him for that. Art, whether dancing, painting, beading, or any of the other many forms it takes, carries the power for good. I am so sorry the arts in our schools are getting cut out of the budget. In the meantime Curtis is teaching dance to his children, grandchildren, and the kids at this event. I paint and bead with my grandchildren, so maybe individuals can make up some ground for our future.
Lovely day, went home inspired and finished some earrings my 12 year old granddaughter started. I'm going to start a beaded breastplate for my husband as he is riding in the Pendleton Roundup parade costumed as John Colter this fall. Its been 100 years since the Pendleton Rodeo began in 1910, my grandmother was there, I have yet to see it, must be the year.

4 Comments:
Sounds like a big bead project. Have you done this before? I wish you luck and your husband will be so proud.
Celia, what a moving story and you told it so well. I love the idea of passing my creations on to my grandchildren, just like the Native Americans did and still do. I also was interested that your grandmother was at the first Pendleton Rodeo.
Tabor - this is my first time out for this type of beading, I used to make jewelry, earrings, bracelets, various kinds of necklaces with all sorts of materials. This will be a new adventure for me but I have supplies and most of the tools I will need already.
mariamayo - I wish I knew more about the Pendleton Roundup - Grandma must have been around 16 at that time and was living on the ranch of an uncle near Heppner, Oregon, which is about 70 miles away. I wonder how long it took them to get there, did they have a vehicle or was it a horseback trip? A different world.
It's going to be the year. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home