Macy's and Old Theaters
Maggie at "Postcards" showed us some great pictures today of the Horton Plaza and the restored old Balboa Theater in San Deigo. I thought it might be fun to see where the Macy's store is here in Walla Walla. The restored and repurposed Liberty Theater. The bulk of the store and their sign is off to the left behind the trees. I have to admit I kind of wish it was still a theater but I am glad the building remains.
The upper floors house offices of businesses and the lower floor contains the Macy's and other small shops around an interior mezzanine. Truly a marvelous building. It opened as the American theater in 1917. Not sure how to describe the architecture, I've heard it referred to as Tudor Revival. The three story front is all white glazed terra cotta with blue accents and a red tile roof. It was built on the site of the second Fort Walla Walla est. 1856.

The upper floors house offices of businesses and the lower floor contains the Macy's and other small shops around an interior mezzanine. Truly a marvelous building. It opened as the American theater in 1917. Not sure how to describe the architecture, I've heard it referred to as Tudor Revival. The three story front is all white glazed terra cotta with blue accents and a red tile roof. It was built on the site of the second Fort Walla Walla est. 1856.

Labels: Liberty/American theater

3 Comments:
That's a most amazing building. Perhaps Dutch influences. I love it....I'm wild about it. This is repurposing at its best. Thank you.
That is a great building and I'm so glad it's been saved and, from all appearances, saved well.
What an interesting construction...certainly from somewhere in Europe.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home