My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Working...stiff

Yesterday, my daughter-in-law helped me start moving my things out of storage and into my house or to the dump. It was pretty empty as most of it belonged to the departing man. But it still will take another trip. She pretty much did it all while I got out of the way, can't lift boxes of books, couldn't get the lock open, yada, yada...I'd be in a world of hurt in more ways than one with out her. And there are boxes in there that hadn't been opened since I moved here over 11 years ago. Why didn't I get rid of them earlier, why doesn't anyone? What a legacy to leave your kids, boxes o' crap no one looked at for years. At least when I croke they won't have to do this again. It's inspired me to recycle and dump stuff in the house too. And, if there are things anyone else really wants, I say give it to them now!

The biggest shock to me was my physical condition. I've just considered myself a little out of shape, and I'm asthmatic so...not good. This time I had trouble climbing into the kids' giant pickup (farm, six kids), my balance is iffy, and even though I have lost about 30 pounds this year I couldn't quite launch myself off the ground and on to the truck seat as I expected. Thank goodness for the proliferation of hand holds on vehicles these days. Oh, and getting out? Like sliding off a cliff. I find I can work about 15-20 minutes and then I have to sit down and have some water, catch my breath and start again. I'm not reaping any rewards from my sloppily launched walking program.

I had no idea how out of shape I am and somewhat off balance. If my kids are reading this I mean physically off balance, quit yukking. Coincidentally this morning I read this online New York Times article concerning balance in older people. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/business/retirementspecial/16BALANCE.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Quoth the NYT article "Unintentional falls among those 65 and older are responsible for more than 18,000 deaths and nearly 450,000 hospitalizations annually in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." At this point in time I probably could not pass the traditional walk-the-center-line test. What happened? So, even though I am sore today everywhere from two weeks of running about, packing, moving things, re-assuming yard duties, I see that it is in fact very good for me. I might get a little muscle here or there, and help myself not fall on my face and avoiding what could be a real disaster.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

Yup, it's very good. Take it easy tho....inch into it. I find I am out of breath now and need to walk as well as exercise an hour in the gym.

Bravo to you for starting over right. You are going to enjoy going through the boxes. If you find my genealogy books, give me a call, will ya? :)

September 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

glad you are making headway and that you have such a kind and helpful D-I-L.

lordy, do i know about this falling stuff! i have had 2 "unintentional falls" this year, one which seems to have done my left leg/knee in. and it was all because i was not paying attention to what i was doing. so i have myself to blame. the other fall, a few months later, occurred when i stumbled over my own shoe insert which slipped out of an open "slide" type shoe i had put it in! another decision not quite in the moderately intelligent range! save me from myself! PLEASE!

September 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

Even if you aren't unbalanced, you are feeling unbalanced as you redefine your life. You are doing all the right things.

September 18, 2010 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

@Maggie, plenty of books but no geneology books, not even mine, ha, ha.
@hi Sky, seems there are speed bumps in your floors too. I gave up heels, and now slide type slippers, just slip on off.
@Marcie - you nailed it, feeling my way along here.

September 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Wow, what an undertaking! Lots to do, no question.
Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I really feel dreams are important.
Hugs

September 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home