Elderbloggers
I drove from Eastern Washington Friday to be at Ronni Bennett's Elderblogger's meetup. http://www.timegoesby.net/ An old friend of mine drove to Portland from Olympia and we went together. I did take my camera but took not ONE picture at the party at all, or anywhere else. The company was so engaging I forgot about picture taking.
It's been many years since I've been anywhere that I felt like I was in a room of soul mates. Not that everyone was alike by any means. We were city dwellers, farm dwellers, and small town people. Some have partners, some not. Most were retired but not all. This is a reality of retirement that I don't think the world at large has much awareness about. What struck me was how creative everyone was, writers, artists, thinkers, the whole array of creative endevor. People nuturing and supporting each other, laughing together. The miles I drove to get there are small next to to years it took us all to get to this place in our lives and it was well worth the prize of the meetup. And the food, mmmm, especially the desserts. I will see your lovely faces in my mind from now on. Thanks Ronni, I'm still up!
It's been many years since I've been anywhere that I felt like I was in a room of soul mates. Not that everyone was alike by any means. We were city dwellers, farm dwellers, and small town people. Some have partners, some not. Most were retired but not all. This is a reality of retirement that I don't think the world at large has much awareness about. What struck me was how creative everyone was, writers, artists, thinkers, the whole array of creative endevor. People nuturing and supporting each other, laughing together. The miles I drove to get there are small next to to years it took us all to get to this place in our lives and it was well worth the prize of the meetup. And the food, mmmm, especially the desserts. I will see your lovely faces in my mind from now on. Thanks Ronni, I'm still up!
Labels: Elderblogger meetup.

8 Comments:
You said it well and I am glad to now have your blog to check on how you are doing. It was a great day. I expected it to be good but it exceeded my expectations!
I hate that I couldn't be there. I'm hoping something might come up in the summer when I'm in Portland.
Oh, what a delight to see you got to go. One day she might do it again, and I can take a train up.
Thanks too for all your caring notes.
wasn't it fun! I am just so dang sorry I could not have stayed lots longer. I too didn't take one picture and I usually have my camera in hand all the time. BUT- I truly just wanted to asorb everyone and NOT thru the lens. Cheers!
I enjoyed meeting you and hope that you find ways to be in more gatherings that make you feel happy and supported. Your comment makes me realize that I have a lot of gatherings with like-minded people in my life. I hope it happens for you, too.
I hope to go if there is another one. So glad you went and found so much joy!
Oh, I wish I lived closer. Seems all like minded souls at this stage of life - I find through my writing.
Followed your comment on Ronni's.
We have a lot in common. I will be checking back. Have a good day!!
It was wonderful. Your post says it all so well. BTW I love the picture of your "blue cottage"
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home