My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween All

I'm surprised its been around a week since I've blogged. I think that's in part due to having started a journal. I've been writing down the things I dream and my thoughts about my new life as a single person. I read somewhere that women whose lives are changing tend to dream about houses and I sure have. Dreams about living in my parents home with them! Dreams about living with my soon-to-be-ex in someplace I didn't recognize; living with my sisters; living in hotels, caves, dumpy places, palaces, out in the mountains, in cities, once in a glassed in condo in a high tower. Last night it was just me, living in a ordinary, comfortable place by myself.

This is where I live. A house with boxes everywhere.



I've been going through stuff that was in storage and is now sitting in boxes all over the house. I am making progress. This carton above has been coverted into living space by my four year-old grandgirl. I thought she would have flattened by now but no, there's a pillow and a large pink blankie in there. It even has its own heat grate, er, vent. I guess you can live in a cardboard carton if it's in your grandmother's house. She won't be moving out anytime soon. And the other boxes have lots of things that belonged to my grandmother and mother and no one seems to want. Argh. I've been thinking of bundling up some of those in little boxes and sending them to my nephews' kids who probably don't have much that belonged to their maternal ancestors. Lots of inexpensive but interesting old and pretty costume jewelry. I don't know if that's a gift or a tag you're "it."
I also have a treasure trove of assorted art supplies. Every time I went on a trip and forgot sketch supplies I bought more. Now there's enough to supply all six grandkids here as well as the grandkids in Portland. I still have all my drafting tools from a former career as a tech illustrator pre-computer during the dark ages. Of course all done on line now and has been for what seems like centuries. There's a whole big box of just that stuff. And a box of old wooden thread spools which I'm sure I've had for over 20+ years. And my clear plastic magic wand. No one should lose their magic wand, no wonder things haven't been going so well lately. ;-)

I had grandgirl company this weekend overnight. As tonight is Halloween we carved pumpkins, two of them for the front porch and she wanted to do something she had seen and voila, our collaboration. It has a multi-light battery run flame like light in it so no porch fires or baked jack o' lantern. The big-un is eating the little-un.



This was a very happy artist. We had a good time, I just hope she didn't catch the sniveling cold I haven't been able to shake this last week. I actually slept 11 hours last night. Feeling really good today. Spending time with this little face probably was the real cure.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Celia said...

Having a devil of a time getting the spacing to stay put in this post, I tried, not sure what I did wrong. Poop! Celia

October 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

lovely post- your grandaughter is so darling- I have problems with spacing staying put also...very very irritating; sometimes going into the html and making spaces helps me...
Happy Halloween

October 31, 2010 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

That sweet face is worth all the exes in the world and you, Celia, live in a beautiful blue cottage.

October 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

I bet it did. So sorry that you have a nasty cold. Spacing....are you using their editor? Yes, I have my ginormus drafting table with machine. I have it's four lamps....gotta have light, and marvelous tools of the trade that I will never use again. My mother's board was vastly smaller, but hers was specially made just for her. Then too, I have one flat file still filed with my old work....layout, paste up and line illustration from the mid sixties through the advent of the first Compugraphics. Now days there are few newspapers and nothing is pasted up.

October 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Hallow Celia, I too am surrounded by boxes of the odds & ends of my life. What were treasures don't mean so much now, after all they are just things.
The time spent with the grandkids is always an upper. Keeps us young and busy and looking at the world with wonder.

October 31, 2010 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

bummer on the cold but nice to have grand-kid time. We don't get trick-or-treaters out here. When we first moved here, they'd have a big party at the school and everybody donated their candy to that for prizes as there were games and a haunted house (basement). The school though has since disappeared with 'progress' and so that's the end of Halloween this far out except for those who drive their small ones to town which is what I did as a child

November 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

Lovely cottage photo!

I have almost...10 grandkids, and only one granddaughter - and I have four daughters, never a son. So, the grandsons are a handful for me.

Your little sweetie is so cute!

November 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home