Restructuring
I should have taken a "before picture" but I didn't. This little counter was covered with plants in several states of decline, all brought from my parent's house and therefore difficult to get rid of easily. I unloaded all but my mother's shamrock, and gave it new soil. I hope it doesn't die of the unaccustomed attention. The plants were surrounded by bowls and dishes of rocks, agates, fossils, and crystals heavily encrusted with plant parts and dust. Encrusted sounds so icky, but they were, being hidden under the plants. I am just one in generations of rock collectors, my youngest son got his degree in geology. Many of these agates I collected with my father from sand spits in the Willamette River. Then there were art supplies which couldn't be used or seen because of the crowding; paints, brushes (which remain), paper, glue, beads, pots for water, papers of assorted kinds. Absolutely no space to do anything with it. A nice table was shoved under the counter that the grandgirls and I used for painting. All but the table are now in the spare bedroom awaiting for another time of organization. The table is now fulfilling the purpose I bought it for, in the dining room with four ladder back chairs.
I ate breakfast here at this little counter this morning, sitting on one of the two wood stools I just bought for this and watching the rain pour down into my small back yard. Yellow leaves are falling off the backyard tree. I realized there had been no where to eat and just look outside. I don't think I will be reading through breakfast anymore. Probably better for the digestion. I suppose that means I'll be planting flowers again. Something to watch it the spring. I have a small table top easel which fits nicely on the counter when I'm inspired to. I tend to work small. It has made the kitchen a welcoming place.
Labels: home sweet home

7 Comments:
it always feels so rejuvenating to me to clean off space and have it look fresh and new again! speaking of which - i could be busy in such endeavors for months to come! if i get into closets, i may never see daylight again!
Celia, I know this sounds silly and maybe even insensitive, but I feel almost envious of your opportunity to reinvent your life at this point.
This is beautiful. I was just thinking that my grandchildren would have gone through that like a bee and made a mess of it all in no time. Glad yours are better behaved.
Lovely....just charming. My quilting mess now has a view, but it isn't at all charming. Blue stools? :)
Wood stools, mystery wood from China or somewhere Maggie.
My grandkids are slowing down a little Tabor, the main mess is in the living room and they aren't quite accustomed to the recent changes.
Sky, After the ex moved his stuff I have continued to recycle, give away, throw away lots of what remains, seeing it with new eyes. Trying to get down the basics. Not much new besides flatware and a coffee pot.
Marcia, I am also trying to get down to the basics of myself. I am who I've always been but the options have changed and I'm finding that very interesting.
Hi Celia- our family also collects rocks and shells and sticks...you name it! I have asked myself NOT to bring home anymore, but to hold it and admire it and then LEAVE it for someone else! and I loved reading about your "remodel"...it looks great!
I love this photo and wish I could see some photos of your blue cottage, which sounds so pretty.Maybe some are posted here--I have to check.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home