My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Vote!

I'm off to deliver my ballot to the lock box in an alley behind the city jail. It is a small town. Many of the candidates in this heavily Republican town are unopposed. But I try, I filled it out as soon as I got it. I've read everything I can find, and look for those whose values line up with mine. Persons with people values rather than corporate values. I sure hope you all get out there and vote. No griping from you if you don't.

Because it's a small town even if you don't know a candidate I usually find someone who does know them, someone with my shared values. With a track record it makes the sorting easier. In the larger arena I have to search harder.

I voted for Patty Murray for our state senator. Her opponent has given me the creeps since forever. I do not care for his business methods or political opinions but in this case it's my gut that had the final say. He's tried twice to roust out Christine Gregoire as governor, failed, and has resighted on Patty Murray. Who is next, I wonder if he sees her as not as tough as Gregoire. My neighbor across the street has a sign up for that guy and it is taking all my self restraint to leave it there. Today though I am belatedly getting a Patty Murray sign.

Just an aside, I got a letter from the Walla Walla County Democrats saying to turn our ballots in earlier than later as "the campaign will receive a notice of when a ballot is received and remove that name from the calling list." What? The robo-callers are given a list of voters to call and notification as to when that voter has voted. The County Auditor that be here inform the Dems and Republicans that I've voted? Does this bother anyone but me?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

I don't know if it bothers me that they know when I voted. I am big on more transparency and also like to think they (at least my party) isn't wasting money calling people who have already voted.

My word verification is ovellygo...sounds like a British cheer to go vote...;-)

October 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Went to the courthouse here and got my voter registration changed to this county. Had a long chat with the county clerk (small rural county) to make sure my vote was in the correct district. I'm voting as soon as my ballot gets here.

October 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

well, it bothers me, celia, in more than one way. after i was elected as a hilary delegate and HAD to give my phone number to the dem party the phone has NOT stopped ringing with conmputer calls. grrrrrrrrrrr! I despise the intrusion into my life and spent many hours on 2 different days months ago calling around to have my number stricken from the roles. no luck. not only that but they were not honest. during all that calling around i learned that phone numbers are given out to many campaigns and shared in other ways as well. i threatened to change parties if they didn't stop calling me and REMOVE my number but it is too late to remove it - it was given to a company who is responsible for doing the sharing and the only recourse i have now is to change phone numbers! of course, i am not going to change party affiliation and spite myself in the process. but i am fired up and mad as a hornet.

i voted for patty on tues night and was thrilled to do so. i have wondered what the guy you mention (don't want to give him free PR by naming him!) does besides RUN FOR OFFICE! i guess if he doesn't get this one he will go after maria next! the tea party crowd would be funny if they were not so scary - how/when did america get so dumbed down?!

October 23, 2010 at 3:11 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Sky - I got a similar story about the phone numbers from our local Dem party and county auditor, outsourced I guess, no one seemed to actually know. The phone number is a required field on the envelope. And, I didn't want to give Patty's opponent any free PR either. I'm pretty sure the gutting of our educational system and the cost of college tuition has contributed mightily to the dumbing down of America.

October 23, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home