My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, November 22, 2010

First Snow and Thanksgiving

It was 27 and white when I got up this morning. It isn't exactly a blizzard and for that I'm thankful for that. One son lives on a farm and slogs down to the critters every morning to feed and get them water that isn't frozen; the other has an hour commute each way to his workplace, so this is plenty for us. I meant to get this sedum (I think) into the ground some time ago but I forgot about it until this morning when I stuck my head out the backdoor for a look about. And the lawn furniture is still sitting out. I have a list of things I was going to finish yesterday. For whatever reason, I decided it was a fine day to nap and read, and overeat, and nap some more. Sooner or later I will dress in my winter coat and go brush the fairly dry snow off the van and head for the grocery store. I did shop yesterday but left part of the list at home, the one with ingredients on it rather than the usual bread, eggs, and milk. My brain was traveling in bookish places rather than around my kitchen.

I'm working on making diabetic tolerant accoutrements for the big family dinner a few blocks away. Could be a big dinner, and we certainly are a big family. I found a recipe for low fat, low carb gravy that tastes good. Ditto for a dessert, a Waldorf salad, and I'm bringing a big green salad as well. Some of the guests have troubling high blood sugar. It's hard to eat tiny amounts of the regular stuff, avoid bread and stuffing and not feel deprived, hopefully this will help and no one will go into a coma later. Maybe it's time for a post meal walk as well.

Meanwhile I'm grateful for the love of my family and friends. Very grateful those in the family who lost their jobs have new ones, three people ending a very long stretch of unemployment. I'm grateful for the smiling faces and the hugs of my grandkids and my grown children. We are housed, fed, and dressed. I am thankful for Medicare. And also, I'm grateful I lost about 30 pounds over the last year or so and because of that my feet don't hurt any longer.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathe W. said...

what a joy to read- we should all be grateful for just plain living here. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

November 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

and it was 72 in Atlanta today. Thanksgiving comes in all shapes and sizes and temperatures. I too am grateful for family and friends, imperfect as we are.

November 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

What wonderful things to be grateful about. Glorious actually. :)

November 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger katiekono said...

Lovely post. So happy about your relatives finding jobs. My ex is also back at work after over two years of nothing. My husband has not worked in a year but luckily we are OK because of our rental houses/apartments and they keep him busy. I think he will be "forced" to retire (electrical contractor, no jobs in AZ). He's 65, not a bad thing really.

November 23, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home