Making Gravy
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
I used to collect all sorts of dishware until I started paring down quite a bit. I kept a few pieces of vintage Bauer pottery including this gravy boat. It's going to be pressed into service again after many, many years. I'm cooking up some edibles for those of us with diabetes and concluded that the thing I would miss most is gravy and found this recipe which I tweaked and cooked up this morning. It tastes really good. Yippee.
Since the turkey is at someone else's home there are no pan juices to defat so I used about 3 oz. of chopped leftover chicken, one finely chopped celery stick, and 1/2 cup finely chopped Walla Walla Sweet onions for making a base. I sprayed Pam in a non-stick fry pan, browned the chicken, celery, and onion until the onion was browned. Then I added a cup of water, pepper, and made a stock and let it reduce for an hour or so over a low heat. Nothing exotic. Then I added the four cups of turkey broth and let it simmer. I finished off a small portion to taste test and loved it. Tomorrow I will strain all the chunks out and blend with the cornstarch and water right before I travel the six blocks to dinner. I don't think anyone will know its a reduced calorie and carb conconction.
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Servings: 16; Difficulty Level: low
Ingredients
1/4 Cup cornstarch
1/4 Cup water
4 Cups TURKEY BROTH and defatted pan juices (see below)
Salt and pepper
Directions
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, bring turkey broth and pan juices to a boil.
Meanwhile, blend until smooth the cornstarch and water.
Whisking constantly, slowly add the cornstarch mixture and continue stirring until the gravy is thickened.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Provides 16 servings at 1/4 cup per portion
Note: To defat pan juices, pour poultry drippings into a glass measuring cup and refrigerate until the fat solidifies. Remove the fat layer and discard.
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, bring turkey broth and pan juices to a boil.
Meanwhile, blend until smooth the cornstarch and water.
Whisking constantly, slowly add the cornstarch mixture and continue stirring until the gravy is thickened.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Provides 16 servings at 1/4 cup per portion
Note: To defat pan juices, pour poultry drippings into a glass measuring cup and refrigerate until the fat solidifies. Remove the fat layer and discard.
Nutritional Information (Per 1/4 cup serving)
Calories: 12
Protein: 1 g
Sodium: 10 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbohydrates: 2 g
Labels: Bauer pottery, Thanksgiving

6 Comments:
That is a LOT of gravy. Have fun.
There's 16 of us so it may not be too much, ;-)
The recipe looks good! I made gravy after baking two turkey breasts, but it only made 2 cups, so I had to supplement with gravy in a jar. It was all good! Happy Thanksgiving!
Celia, have a wonderful Thanksgiving making new memories with people who will be enjoying good health with your thoughtful addition to the feast.
That's simply wonderful and I will steal it for future thanksgivings. Thank you. I love the gravy boat too....it would go very well with my Russel Wright Iroquois. :)
good take on gravy...yum.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home