My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Beginnings

I tried getting pictures of the grandgirls on Christmas day. Couldn't get all six in or any child to look up from their loot. Still, it was a lovely, peaceful morning followed by a delicious breakfast served up by their mother. A good send up for the coming new year.

I got up early on the December 30th to get ready to go to court to get my divorce decree. The weather had been cold and snowing and I was concerned about parking. Because of my asthma I can't walk far in below freezing temperatures. In spite of the weatherman's promises of more snow that night none had fallen and the streets were clear and the sun was out. I got a parking place in front of the courthouse. I hadn't been in court since my granddaughters were adopted and found like the big cities we now have a metal detector and they collect your cell phones and go through your purses and bags. We have a gang problem here too, there are no paradisaical places any longer. I was the first one on the docket and was sworn in and had to sit in the witness chair and declare my marriage was irretrievably broken; Washington is a no-fault divorce state. It took seven minutes and I was done.

I can't say I was joyful, it wasn't that kind of occasion but I felt immensely unburdened. I don't know what is coming down the road but I am kind of excited to greet it. I never imagined I would end up in divorce court at 68 but there I was. In the afternoon I had a pre-arranged phone visit with a very dear longtime friend and as planned we had a glass of wine and toasted our futures. She was abruptly "retired" by her firm and has been on unemployment since early 2010. She is legal secretary with excellent skills but not one nibble of a job so she is starting her own business providing those services for companies who cannot afford their own staff. I think she will do quite well. We toasted to our futures and whatever that may bring and what we can make of it. Here's to a new year and the hopes and plans we all have.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Story Connection - Our Memories Bring Us Together said...

Celia, I know there are many good things to come in your future. Happy New Year.

January 3, 2011 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

Wonderful and postive stuff. Congratulations on the divorce.....I never knew you when you were married, but glad you feel unburdened. Happy new start to things.

January 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Sounds like an auspicious beginning even if started with an ending.

January 3, 2011 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

You are doing well, and that gives me hope. It was a long year passed, but the future IS BRIGHT.

January 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

as you head into 2011 with a brush in your hand, an open canvas and many oils, i wonder what you will paint? on some level the year ahead must feel exciting! hope the new year brings us both good energy and better health! may it also keep us curious and fun loving.
much happiness and comfort, celia!
sky

January 4, 2011 at 4:11 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Happy New Year even if a bit belatedly. Sometimes a divorce is the right thing and you are young enough to get a new start, possibly even a new relationship. Good luck with whatever comes into your life

January 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

A new year and a divorce. I am relieved to hear that you have felt a sense of relief and release.
All the best for 2011.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

January 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

and here's to your new year my friend! Bravo!

January 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I found you through Kenju.
Love the little blue cottage.
I have a cottage at the edge of the woods - now for 18 months.
The divorce - Mine was at age 42 and I am a few years older then you at this time.
Mine an interesting past with the finishing raising of children.
Now freedom is wonderful.
I wish you freedom and peace...

February 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home