My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow in the Palouse

Snow in the Palouse


The hills here got another powdered sugar coating this week. Looks like our patch of balmy, 50 degree weather is gone and the weather trolls remembered it's still January. Got my computer up and running again and added external storage for backup, something I should have done ages ago. Now its me that's crashed and burned. The change from dry and cold to damp and windy seems to have kick started an arthritis flare or maybe it just got a mind to do that itself. All I want to do is sleep and that's not the best thing so I'm setting my alarm to get myself up after 8 hours and then taking an hour nap most afternoons. The worst is in my feet and that keeps me from walking much, not good, not good. Just nature's way of reminding me I'm not 40 anymore, or 50, 0r 60, jeez.
Being parked more than usual I've gotten a lot more reading done and some knitting. I just finished "Cane River" by Lalita Tedemy. I really liked it even though much of it was painful to read. The mores of the times are difficult to take in, and makes this family of strong women even more amazing, not just that they survived but managed to prosper. Now I'm starting "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet," by David Mitchell. I'm only a few pages in and am totally in love with his art with words. It's set in Shogunate Japan where Jacob employed as a clerk with the Dutch East India Company is confined with other traders to an small artifical island near Nagasaki from which they pursue their business.
Life is peaceful and uneventful for the most part. A great relief after the divorce drama of the fall. My life is remaking itself. Every now and then I get some new small housewares to fit my one person household, a six hole muffin tin, a little bread pan that fits in the toaster oven I had forgotten I had. I got a new, small skillet too; not that I haven't kept all the big stuff, company is coming for spring break. Just to keep some uproar in the background I have started tearing wallpaper off both the bathrooms. I'm sure I'll have them painted by the time company gets here. Ha, ha, ha.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Celia said...

Sorry about the layout, can't seem to control it. Grrr!

January 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Oh, delightful to see you. Glad your computer is up, and glad too that you are creating some small uproar.

January 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Sorry about the arthritis. I too, suffer from it. At the moment in my hips, back, ankles & wrists.
Comes and goes and is worse in cold, damp conditions. Have to keep mobile without overdoing it.

You asked me what an allotment was...... In UK it is a rented plot of land to grow veg on. Many city houses don't have big enough gardens for this.

Hope you feel better soon.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

January 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

My arthritis seems to come and go at will. Weather change seems to affect it, no matter which way the weather goes.

January 21, 2011 at 1:57 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I love the photo. I am very taken with those kind of hills and drive past some of them whenever I am heading to Montana. Snow on them would be perfect... other than the bad driving conditions, of course...

January 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

gorgeous photo- wonderful vista- try reading "Cutting for Stone" it's (to me) a fascinating book!
and if you want unexpected company just keep pulling that wallpaper off the wall! It sounds to me that even with your arthritis you are doing great...Cheers!

January 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Great pic, I have seen some really good ones (especially the Palouse) at
http://escotty00.wordpress.com/
So glad your computer is back online.
I have a couple of friends with nasty arthritis, not fun. They just keep moving so as not to freeze in place. Better days!

January 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger katiekono said...

Oh what a gorgeous photo! I taught in Walla Walla for two years and remember scenes like this! Now it's sand dunes and cactus!

About feet...I have terrible feet. Orthotics, pedicures every month, comfortable shoes and Alleve get me through. I wish I could trade them in for a new pair! You name it, I have it!(foot problems) I can exercise on an elliptical or recumbent bike, but no aerobics or treadmill or even extensive walking for me! And I used to run!

January 21, 2011 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

@katiekono - thanks for the hints, just went to the gym again the trainer there said the same thing, do the elliptical or recumbent bike. And I've given up my house slippers, not enough support but after two days my feet are a little better. Made an appt for a pedicure next week.

@Brighid - I checked escotty out, great pictures!

@kathew - added "Cutting for Stone" to my booklist, thank you.

@maggiemay - I guess we have "allotments" here too, a spot of dirt for rent from the city of Walla Walla. One of the better ideas don't you think?

January 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home