Weather Wonderings
Monday on my birdless bird watch, I took a picture of Bennington Lake, an artificial lake put in by the Army Corps of Engineers for flood control. It was finished in 1942 same as me. It has hiking and horseback trails, places to picnic, and a boat ramp for motorless boats. This is the lowest water level I have seen since I moved here over a decade ago. This is 52 acres of water, close to town, was 52 acres, now it must be about 20 or less. Someone has been making "donuts" in the nearly dried mud.
We seem to be getting peculiar weather, warm and dry alternating with cold and dry. All of February's average rain fall fell in about three gully washing days and disappeared. The snow pack has failed to materialize, the Blue Mountains get white and then it all melts off. The Walla Walla Valley is situated in a weather anomaly, right now snow is falling heavily around us, but only lightly here. I saw a National Geographic map of weather changes and it had us marked to become wetter as times goes by and we have had two cold soggy springs so far, vegetable gardens suffered. I guess I will continue with xeriscaping of my yard. Will I have to give up tomatoes and peppers for carrots, lettuce, and beets?
Labels: weather

8 Comments:
You will have to make very British gardens. Ol' Farmer McGregor will understand everything you plant, and so will the bunnies. :)
Snow has arrived there? It's down to 2000 feet here. I live at about 25...up the hill from sea level. We are supposed to be doing low water landscaping here too, but the current board seems to have different priorities. Darn them.
Or maybe find a sunny raised spot and try that for the warmer weather plants. Global climate change is happening faster and faster. It will keep us all guessing!
Maggie: We had a light 1/4 inch of snow this morning. It melted, and the temp dropped to 25 already. We are an elevation of around 1000'. I used to garden in Seattle so hopefully I can make the adjustment.
Tabor: Raised boxes! Should have kept my old tires, we used to grow our tomatoes in those in Seattle in a sunny spot. Boxes would be prettier.
Strawbales make good raised beds.
The weather is weird all over, I think. I posted a video on FB about global warming, which was scary as all get out. Have you ever seen ice burn???
I loved this line: It was finished in 1942 same as me.
Brighid: How do you use the hay bale? I have access to lots of those, do you just smoosh a hole in the top?
Kenju: I looked up burning ice and found some video on youtube, very strange. Frozen methane?
And thanks Marci.
Nice pic ...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home