My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dreams & Medication

During my travel from married to single I experienced some health problems, a jittery heartbeat with chest pains ending in a trip to the ER.  They kept me overnight, ack!  Many tests later my heart was pronounced healthy with an odd early heartbeat called a PVC, GERD, and severe stress.  My doctor put me on a small dose of Z*loft, an SSRI, not my favorite thing to do but I needed more peace than I could give myself.  It worked.  Then it started keeping me awake at night so I tapered off a little and then just quit.  I've replaced it with nearly daily trips to the gym.  Now I'm sleeping, a lot, and having odd dreams that are probably related to stopping the Z*loft. 

Last night I dreamed I was an newly minted Orthodox nun, except we were all dressed in white and the orthodox nuns are usually dressed in black as far as I know.  I was assigned to hand out medications to the poor but whoever was in charge was just giving me handfuls of assorted pills with verbal instructions to give this to so and so and that to so and so.  All of which I promptly forgot so no one got anything as I wasn't allowed to write instructions down.  That was disturbing.  But there is a repetitive theme that has appeared in this dream and all the others over the week, having the ground crumble out from under me.  I drive down a dream road and when I try to drive back up it has washed away or fallen over the edge.  When I walk somewhere in my dream the same thing, or I open my front door and there is a huge hole in front of the place I'm living.  I think its SSRI withdrawal and a belated reaction to a failed marriage which was like the ground crumbling under me.  Some years ago I took Z*loft after my mother died, and while it perked me up, it also made it nearly impossible for me to sleep.  I'd forgotten that.  Still I think less drugs is better for me, and probably I need to process what happened to my life the last few years further and continue jumping on that treadmill in the gym.  Nothing is over until its over.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

YOu could be your own doctor or psychotherapist because what you say makes a lot of sense. You are now at the tail end of a healing...now that the rose colored glasses are being removed.

March 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Years ago, when I was going through some family issues added to by winter sad issues, I took Prozac and it helped; so I see the value of taking something for a period of time, seeing how it's going and eventually getting off. What I had against Prozac was it reduced my creativity. Back then they didn't tell us the side effects or didn't maybe know them. Now I think they are more up on it.

March 26, 2011 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

"Give yourself time, plenty of Time." That's what friends have told me, so I'm passing it on for what it's worth.
Drug free zone here, just because I've almost never taken them, except the occassionaly aspirin. My system seems to over react to even tiny amounts...
does that make me a candidate for a Sweet Potato Queens Revirgination kit, I wonder?

March 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as you should not take a medicine without your Dr.s advice, you also should not stop taking it without consulting with your Dr. Many meds have adverse side effects when you suddenly stop taking them. Sounds like this is the case with your current symptoms. bkj

March 27, 2011 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

And you certainly are not over. At some point, you will be replacing the flooring in your dreams.

March 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh how wise we become as we age (re: your last line).

I too hate taking any meds, particularly the psychotrophic ones. I've been on SSRI's before and the withdrawal process is awful!

Your dream interpretation sounds true. I dreamed last night that somebody dug a chunk out of the foundation of my house and put skunks in there. Weird. I'm not on any meds (haven't been for a couple of years) but did drink a glass of wine at my daughter's. Wine always has that effect on me (weird dreams) and I really don't drink it much - just don't tolerate it any more.

I looked up the meaning of skunks and it was something to do with self-respect. Hmmmm.

Exercise really does help a lot of emotional upheavals and good for the body too. After David died last July, I walked morning, noon, and night. The only reason I stopped was when the weather became too cold. Now I swim (indoors). Gotta keep moving.It helps with the processing.
Hugs

March 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Its always best not to have medication unless you can help it but obviously sometimes you have no choice.
Sounds like you know your own body pretty well.
The dreams suggested that you were vulnerable.

I have never heard of Z*loft but I guess it is a tranquillizer. Maybe we call it something else over here.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

March 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

everyone here has good points to make- a lot of your dreams could be sorting out your past and readying you for your future. I would consult with your doc about how to adjust and get off the meds?
I think it could be just the weather draggin on and on when we are all ready for some warm sunny air in our homes!

March 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home