Hooray for public libraries. This is of course a summer picture; there are no leaves on the trees here right now. Now that my PC is bug free, my keyboard has died. I've hauled my library card out and gotten online and taken out a few books to while I'm at it. I've been reading Wallace Stegner and they had two of those I hadn't gotten to yet.
I just read a quote from Stegner's "All The Little Live Things." I don't know what he meant, but it keeps running through my mind as I try decide what it means to me. His protagonist Joe is 65, mourning the loss of his only son and examining his own life from his new home in a rural area, "and it used to comfort me to know that these little mountains, like everything else around, are very lively, very Californian. The range grows, they say, a half inch or so a year, and in the same time moves about that distance northward. It is a parable for the retired. Sit still and let the world do the moving." I wonder how many people retire this way. I was never a mover and shaker though I did give my money and time to various causes, tutoring and literacy, political campaigns, Patty Murray in particular. I picketed with the farm workers and Chavez in my younger days and then again with his daughter when I was in my fifties. Did that make any difference? Do I make any difference right now? I have grandchildren who I'm hoping to help send out into the world with an education and a moral compass based on love and compassion. So the world keeps moving on with or without us but I still think all of our inputs may count for something in the aggregate. In a way we all are living on the fault line.


2 Comments:
Celia, I'm now quoting you:
So the world keeps moving on with or without us but I still think all of our inputs may count for something in the aggregate. In a way we all are living on the fault line.
That's beautiful.
Yes, it makes a difference. Yes, yes! I try to live as if, yet I know so many of my grandkids know nothing of me at all. We are the light into the future. Hugs at ya.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home