Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Been humming David Bowie songs today, bet my young grandgirls don't know who he is.
Just read Ronni Bennett's blog about shoes and old feet. The postman arrived with a SHOE catalog, drool. How is that for serendipity? In it is a Mary Jane shoe with a rubber sole in silver. Kind of a dressy (if that's possible) tennis shoe. So much has changed for me, gone from admiring spikey heels with one tiny strap to wanting silver tennies. Although Ronni has a pair of pink jeweled mules I will probably try to duplicate.
Much has besides shoes has changed.
1) My music, I still love David Bowie, and Marvin Gaye and many others, oh like, Creedence Clearwater, but now I also like Nightwish, a Finnish metal band with an operatic songstress and orchestra arrangements, and a lead guitarist who looks like my idea of an ancient berserker. And Shakira.
2) I used to walk, hike, and kayak. Now I've turned into a gym rat showing up usually five days a week to hike on the treadmill and let the nautilus equipment pummel me.
4) Food, drink. I ate anything and everything. I drank a mocha a day at my favorite coffee place, now its one cup of coffee usually at home; two cups means antacid pills. I loved rum and cokes, fruity drinks, now most hard liquor gives me a headache right away, the "no waiting" hangover. Probably a combination of allergies and medications. Fortunately a little glass of wine actually lowers your blood sugar so I save that for those dinners when everything is too good to pass up. Mostly I drink water.
3) I spill things. No wait, I always spilled things.
4) I used participate in political marches, now I write letters and send email.
5) It takes half an hour for me to take my pills, drink two glasses of water, and do stretches in the morning just so I can get dressed and eat breakfast. It used to take me half and hour to shower, eat, and dress and go to work.
6) I am much more patient with my little grandkids than I was with my sons when they were little. For that I am sorry, I really thought what I was trying to teach them was really, really important.
7) I no longer have to rush to be on time to things because I kept washing dishes and hanging up clothes before I leave. They'll still be there when I get back. I vacuum and clean after the kids leave not before.
8) I used to listen to the news and the weather in the car on the way to work. Now, I go out on the deck every morning whatever the weather and give myself the weather report, and be thankful that I have my own (neglected) backyard and I can see trees and birds.
9) Then there is driving. I love to drive, short scenic drives, driving to visit my relatives, and so on. The price of gas is rising as you know and my solution is to drive less. I'm not buying a more fuel efficient car because mine is paid for and safe, and may last out my driving career. Is is really efficient and green to toss out a perfectly good car for an expensive hybrids at this point in my life? I think not. Where do the leftovers go? I noticed when the deal for trading your car in to get rid of junkers, the cars they got were better than most of the cars that the poor people here drive. And before I leave my soap box - it's not just money that made me decide to drive less. I am shocked that we are bombing yet a third middle east country, and I want us out of the wars over there. It's all about the control of oil over there. That alone makes me feel a need to commit to driving less that stands on its own. My sons are too old for the military but why would I want my neighbor's son or daughter to die in a war like that? I don't.
Just read Ronni Bennett's blog about shoes and old feet. The postman arrived with a SHOE catalog, drool. How is that for serendipity? In it is a Mary Jane shoe with a rubber sole in silver. Kind of a dressy (if that's possible) tennis shoe. So much has changed for me, gone from admiring spikey heels with one tiny strap to wanting silver tennies. Although Ronni has a pair of pink jeweled mules I will probably try to duplicate.
Much has besides shoes has changed.
1) My music, I still love David Bowie, and Marvin Gaye and many others, oh like, Creedence Clearwater, but now I also like Nightwish, a Finnish metal band with an operatic songstress and orchestra arrangements, and a lead guitarist who looks like my idea of an ancient berserker. And Shakira.
2) I used to walk, hike, and kayak. Now I've turned into a gym rat showing up usually five days a week to hike on the treadmill and let the nautilus equipment pummel me.
4) Food, drink. I ate anything and everything. I drank a mocha a day at my favorite coffee place, now its one cup of coffee usually at home; two cups means antacid pills. I loved rum and cokes, fruity drinks, now most hard liquor gives me a headache right away, the "no waiting" hangover. Probably a combination of allergies and medications. Fortunately a little glass of wine actually lowers your blood sugar so I save that for those dinners when everything is too good to pass up. Mostly I drink water.
3) I spill things. No wait, I always spilled things.
4) I used participate in political marches, now I write letters and send email.
5) It takes half an hour for me to take my pills, drink two glasses of water, and do stretches in the morning just so I can get dressed and eat breakfast. It used to take me half and hour to shower, eat, and dress and go to work.
6) I am much more patient with my little grandkids than I was with my sons when they were little. For that I am sorry, I really thought what I was trying to teach them was really, really important.
7) I no longer have to rush to be on time to things because I kept washing dishes and hanging up clothes before I leave. They'll still be there when I get back. I vacuum and clean after the kids leave not before.
8) I used to listen to the news and the weather in the car on the way to work. Now, I go out on the deck every morning whatever the weather and give myself the weather report, and be thankful that I have my own (neglected) backyard and I can see trees and birds.
9) Then there is driving. I love to drive, short scenic drives, driving to visit my relatives, and so on. The price of gas is rising as you know and my solution is to drive less. I'm not buying a more fuel efficient car because mine is paid for and safe, and may last out my driving career. Is is really efficient and green to toss out a perfectly good car for an expensive hybrids at this point in my life? I think not. Where do the leftovers go? I noticed when the deal for trading your car in to get rid of junkers, the cars they got were better than most of the cars that the poor people here drive. And before I leave my soap box - it's not just money that made me decide to drive less. I am shocked that we are bombing yet a third middle east country, and I want us out of the wars over there. It's all about the control of oil over there. That alone makes me feel a need to commit to driving less that stands on its own. My sons are too old for the military but why would I want my neighbor's son or daughter to die in a war like that? I don't.
Labels: changes

6 Comments:
Sounds like your life is changing for the better. My issue is that I still need to get weather from the TV or radio as looking at the sky in my backyard only gives me a clue.
Beautiful posting on aging. One of my favorites. Thank you.
Love this post! Right on!
I love music very much too. Love those singers you mention and fado from Portugal, flamenco...well the list goes on. Glad you are enjoying yourself.
I've decided to look for a house to buy. Prices are low enough so that mortgage can be the same as rent. Seems like a good thing. Want a place with room to garden.
Yes, yes, and yes, I love my flat shoes and think myself 13 again in the black Capizios that I dreamed about. Yes, I can now do coffee....with my Prilosec. LOL Life is pretty darned good even if my old truck is named Grumpy,
great post! great changes! sounds like living has given you a new perspective that is healthy and fun! :))
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home