My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ruminations


It can truly get windy here and it amazes me all the ways people have found to harness that wind.  We parked in the lot of the local theater to watch this fellow and a companion flying before the winds.  I found it thrilling watching these young men enjoying themselves and putting on a show for us so I could get pictures.  This is exactly the kind of thing I would have loved to have done as a kid.  I used to use my roller skates to do long jumps over things, now it would asking for a life in a body cast to do that but maybe rolling around a parking lot...I wanted to tell him to get a helmet.

My mother used to watch musicals and the dancers and say "I could have done that."  She very well might have, she had danced in Vaudeville shows in Portland when she was a very little girl and kept her flexibility and long legged grace up to the end of her life.  As she grew older she quit bemoaning her lost alternatives and truly seemed to enjoy watching others perform, in particular my younger sister who has always moved well and seems to have the performing gene as does her daughter.  When I realized that I'd quit envying others doing what I used be able to do, I understood better her joy in musicals, watching Olympic ice skaters, and gymnasts.  Now I love watching the speed skaters, Apolo Anton Ono is amazing, not to mention he is a fellow Seattle homie, and a handsome young man.  And the snowboarders, especially the women. 

Things way different since I was a girl.  I loved basketball.  No basketball teams in my high school.  My first opportunity to play on a basketball team didn't came when I was in my 30's and a young mother.  My alma mater now has a great collegiate women's basketball team. My grandkids, all girls but one, have much more opportunity to develop their physical side as well as their minds.  A very good change.

11 Comments:

Blogger marciamayo said...

When I was a girl, I didn't know that girls ever did sports. I'm serious about that.

April 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool photo!
Oh boy, have things changed since we were kids!

April 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I know when I went to my small town high school there were no girls teams and therefore, little opportunity for girls in sports!

April 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I wonder if your mother knew mine. They could have. Mom was in orchestras and the last big one was in Portland, one of the stage shows where they had burlesque etc etc. She traveled around the US with the all girl bands playing bass and bass horn as well as singing with her sisters in a trio. She would have been playing in Portland in the 1930s, late probably. I had the album with the clippings but gave that to my daughter

April 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

The only sport I played was volleyball and softball my last three years in grade school and that was because the school was too small to field a team without the girls.

Rain - it's possible they could have met. I have just a few pictures of Mom as a little girl in her dance outfits probably dating between 1923 and 1928. She lived in Portland until she married in 1941.

April 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Gosh, and what is he using for a sail. I'm very not sports focused, but I love taking pictures of it all.

April 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Maggie - his sail appeared to be a umbrella with a little nylon parachute wrapped over it with white cords that fastened to the ends of the umbrella ribs. He kept one hand firmly on the umbrella handle. The cords went to a little rod in his other hand that he used to change direction much like a parasail. Couldn't tell if it was homemade or not.

April 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

That looks like fun. If I can get one of the heifers to stand still long enough to attach the board...away we go...
We had great sports at my small, college town, high school. I did tennis, volleyball, lacrosse, baseball, fencing and basketball.

April 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

RYN: Yes, it does, fronting the field it has a bar, a resturant, and seating not only on the protruding decks but in the bleachers on the roof. Take another look. :)

April 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

That was a great thing to try! An old umbrella and a skate board :-)

I have never been a sporty person but loved any form of arts and crafts and books and writing!
We had to play hockey which I thought was very rough!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

April 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

a time for everything! Great photo and post!

April 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home