My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, April 18, 2011

What Happened?


This morning I finally got online and did the "your account" thing with my cell phone provider.  I needed to because my voice mail was password protected and I haven't been able to use that in the eight months since I got the phone.   Then I decided to buy myself a ring tone as a reward for finally taking care of it.  It told me I couldn't because my 8-month old phone isn't set up to do that.  Whaaat?  Apparently I bought a very passe phone.  Well it was cheaper.  I wouldn't mind a fancier phone but I don't want to pay the extra monthly charges and every time I try to look at stuff on my son's Android I end up dialing someone by mistake, touchy touch screen.  Fat fingered me.

In another life I was a programmer and PC techie, loaded down with cell phone, pager, work access at home, and I set it all up myself.  I could bring whole production systems to their knees from miles away. Now my daughter Heather had to set up my TV for me, and then discovered my PC speakers were monaural rather than stereo as they were plugged into the wrong place.  I'd like to stream netflix movies to my TV so I could see them better but the whole process intimidates me.  Soon I think I'll have to get a new PC, mine has occasional fits of the "blue screen of death" at times, I think its because MS has sucked up all the spare space with its endless updates.  I'm not looking forward to all the shopping and comparing anymore.

There must be some answer besides going to live in the hills in a yurt and growing potatoes.  Hmmm, with an outhouse there'd be no toilet to wash either.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger marciamayo said...

It all just overwhelms me. I'm pretty sure I pay too much for everything but I just can't make myself call anyone about it.

April 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Go to the local jc or hs and find the geeky kid. Talk him/her into showing you how, and thank him/her with some cool tickets. Simple

April 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Peruby said...

I tell you what. I work with the darn things. I am the person my friends/family call when they need computer help.

But, I seriously am getting stressed out by this technology. It is getting to be very ridiculous. It haunts me.

April 19, 2011 at 3:43 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Technological obsolescence is something the younger generations love and look forward to getting the next update. Those of us who have been around the block a few times are truly tired of each change and having to learn new ways of doing things. I do not have a smart phone...but with the new apps (weather warnings and traffic updates) I just may have to bite the bullet.

April 19, 2011 at 4:24 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

Dear You. Oh, I so understand. I leapt from the world of the conceptual and the paintbrush in hand to a world of digital confusion. That's me. As my computers get newer, I slowly begin to understand them. The grey lines creeping outward from my images aren't my imagination, I bet they are from a dying video card. LOL You are way beyond me with the streaming video, and I still use a tiny clam shell phone. I think you are great, and the cartoon made me laugh out loud.

April 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California

I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and become a follower if you choose too.

God Bless You :-)

April 19, 2011 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

hah! doncha love technology??? Not so much!

April 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand where your coming from. I'm in my thirty's. I grew up with all off these things and even for me and my friends it is getting to over whelming. It's more and more like change because they can.

April 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'd sure love not having toilets to wash!!

April 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home