My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Two Days of Sun and Counting


Blue Mountain Lavender Farm
 
Small Provence Lavender and an unknown rescue lavender

I bought these lavenders last year and because of the cement walk project in front of the house I didn't get them into the front garden bed around my yard light.   You can see the yard light in my blog header.  I stuck them into a bed in the backyard and they survived the winter and have grown quite a bit.  The little Provence from the lavender farm are grow round and tidy much like the field lavenders above.  The other two were leftovers from Shopko, the garden manager gave me a deal, free.  I've had good luck reviving the post season leftover perennenials, lavender, heather, grasses, daylillies, and the occasional azelea.  The daylillies have grown like crazy and need to be thinned out and shared.  All these plants have been cheap or free.  The key to survival here has been water, water, water, and rest in my sheltered dirt by the deck for a few months.  The orphan lavenders are kind of messy and I'm going to plant them in the vegetable garden to attract bees. Last week I got six ice plants from BiMart, three purple and three pink leftover from last year and cheap (I am a plant scrounger).  It's a ground cover and I'm hoping it will drape over the sides of the cement stairs up to the house.

I didn't put these plants into their new home yet because of the continuing rain we've had and hideous hay fever that was followed by a hideous cold.  Apparently I've passed on to my son, an awful way to thank him for a lovely Mother's Day.  Two days into antibiotics I feel human again and it's a beautiful day. I plan to get these all moved into the front garden around the yard light.  The bed still isn't edged out the way I want it but I have plenty of time before the plants get too much bigger.  Hope I don't forget to take the before picture.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

I'm still into your cold, but I'm enjoying your gardening efforts no end.

May 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Garden on...it's good for our souls, not to mention our menopausal minds...

May 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

I love lavender. Keep on digging.

May 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home