My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

What Makes You Happy?


"Water-Lilies" Claude Monet 1908, Dallas Museum of Arts

In spite of having an art degree, I had no idea how many waterlily paintings Claude Monet had done until I tried looking up an image to add to my blog.  The series is actually around 250 paintings. I picked this Wikipedia link because of its nice selection of  Monet's Water Lilies.  I've never painted 250 of anything not that I'm comparing myself to Monet. 

Making art (which I am not doing) made me happy, seeing art makes me happy.  I started thinking about this several weeks ago and pondering why I am currently artless, ha, ha, but got derailed by personal events, things that made me unhappy and anxious.  Today on Facebook an organization I joined earlier this year, the Picture Lady Program, posted this link from the UK Guardian . Art Makes You Happy.  Scientists have discovered that looking at art induces the same feelings of pleasure as being in love.  I loved the quote from Grayson Perry - artist "Life without art would be a series of emails."  Bland as I assume he's saying. 

So, I have my easel is up in the spare bedroom, canvas in place.  Pictures I took posted in sight for inspiration and quotes.  Will she, won't she?  Is this little morsel of inspiration due to all the gardening I've been doing, seeing things grow and blossom, or helping my four year old granddaughter paint her own birthday cards?  I don't know. The Picture Lady Program, who brings art to our schools where art and music have been slashed by the economy may have once again gotten my attention.  If viewing art feels like being in love, and I can understand that with my heart, I guess I will get out there and scoop up the endorphins.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

No easel here again, but I am contemplating doodling. I used to have so much fun doodling. See what happens when you get a degree in art? I think I've gotten more use out of my architectural history classes than my art degree. :)

May 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Art degree not usually the way to fame and riches is it? Had my own art business a couple of times but never quit my day job.

May 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Paint is a fantastic mediam, weither on canvas or wall. Go for it, if only for your self.

May 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

I am excited to think you might get involved in your art again. I think creativity is such a delightful and opportune way to nurture self and others. Maybe you will even open an etsy shop one day and sell your artwork!

May 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Peruby said...

Our Monet (Cleveland) is on loan right now, but I have not been to visit in a couple of years.

May 29, 2011 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

Paint when you are ready. I visited the Picasso Museum in Paris and was surprised at the number of attempts he made to get his painting right. I just though geniuses slapped something together and it was perfect every time.

May 29, 2011 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I have always wanted to paint and draw and actually took a class or two...but do not think my talent (or lack thereof) will take me far. INstead I am posting my photographic "art" on RedBubble...you should look there.

May 29, 2011 at 7:05 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

I always enjoy reading your posts and now I visialize you having a lovely time painting

May 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home