Fort Walla Walla Days
Each summer there are couple of events at our local historical museum, one of which is Fort Walla Walla Days. Fort Walla Walla Museum To paraphrase a Neil Diamond song of we "packed up the babies, grabbed the old ladies and everyone go..." We even got a break from the weather, sunny and around 73, so my 13 year old grandgirl, her great grandmother and her sister, plus myself climbed in the van and off we went. There was music, food, sunshine, live reenactments of fur traders, Lewis and Clark (who actually trekked by here), and the last few years a Civil War encampment and several staged skirmishes.
The woman who served as narrator on the sidelines with the audience told us this 40 pound cannon was built by one of the participants and it took him four years to build. I'm sorry to say I wrote the man's name down and other pertinent details but lost the paper on the trek home. He's part of the reenactment group of the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Co. F. They and their cannon have been invited to participate in the 150th anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg in July of 2013.
Here's a view of the Confederate soldiers from afar beginning their charge. There were three skirmishes over the weekend. Not wishing to offend anyone, one went to the Union, one to the Confederates, and one was a draw. Walla Walla had received newcomers after the Civil War from both sides, I imagine this area would have seemed a very long way from the wreckage of that war and a place for people to start over.
It was kind of fun to have three of our four existing generations together this way and while this is not where I grew up it is the home town of the rest of the ladies young and in their 80's. It's fun to see the museum anything and to view some of the plentiful local history. If you come bring your walking shoes, its really large and hilly in spots. You can catch a ride on a golf cart though so don't let that stop you.
It was kind of fun to have three of our four existing generations together this way and while this is not where I grew up it is the home town of the rest of the ladies young and in their 80's. It's fun to see the museum anything and to view some of the plentiful local history. If you come bring your walking shoes, its really large and hilly in spots. You can catch a ride on a golf cart though so don't let that stop you.
Labels: Fort Walla Walla Museum

4 Comments:
Celia, I lived in Walla Walla on Rose Street for 2 years, 1974-76, and it is a lovely place. So green with the nearby Blue Mountains, very different from the Tri-Cities area.
I remember going to the historical site where the missionary family was killed (Whitmans?) and being totally freaked out by the description of the massacre!
I also remember going into the prison with my Irish priest friend one time and running into a young man who stole my purse from church in Seattle a few years before this! He seemed really happy to see me! I said to him, "Anthony, WHAT were you thinking? Why did you steal my purse when you know I don't have any money?" (I was a nun at the time, but not in habit.) He seemed surprised that I was upset with him for stealing from me. Apparently he did the same thing with someone's motorcycle and thus ended up there. I'm sure there were other crimes involved, though, WW State Pen is a pretty mean place.
My daughter and I spent some time at Williamsburg these past few days and that was fun visiting our history.
Katie: That's very close to my home, I'm guessing just 2-3 blocks. Yes, that is the Whitman Mission site and while it's very historical, sylvan and rural I find it a creepy place to be.
sounds like a great field trip. I'm glad the weather cooperated.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home