I Ran Away from Home
I've been traveling, visiting relatives, bringing grandkids home with me, returning grandkids to whence I got them and then finally leaving on an adventure with my sister. I kind of overdid it and I've been sleeping a lot since I returned home but it was great.
Leaving Pier 91 on the Oosterdam for Alaska
July 3rd, four of us, myself, my sister Susan, my friend Cathy and her daughter Mary, together took an Alaskan Cruise. It was the first cruise ever for all of us. After days of less than clement weather, it was around 70 and gorgeous in Seattle the day we left. Blue skies, mild, warm air with the smell of salt. Delicious, for an expat Seattlite now living in Eastern Washington it was almost too much, made me briefly but really homesick.
The view from the ship looking back around Magnolia Bluff into Seattle.
We basked in the sun on the deck, took pictures, drank tall drinks made of rum, raspberry juice, and who knows what and watched the shoreline of Seattle go by. A most auspicious beginning.
Me and my fruity drink, photo by Susan Zumberis
By nightfall we were sailing by the 300 mile long coast of Vancouver Island en route to Glacier Bay. We were overtaken by a storm that night. For me the rocking of a boat is relaxing and I slept very, very well. Heading out for breakfast it was amazing to take one step and find yourself three feet across the hallway by the second step. It was actually kind of fun, but not for all. Many people were wearing little white dots of seasickness medicine behind their ears. The restaurant at lunch was very quiet and not crowded. Quite a few were staring at bowls of soup but not eating.
There was a "formal wear" dinner that second night and for reasons I cannot explain I brought brand new shiny patent leather high heels to wear to those events. The big wavy water didn't slow me down but the shoes did. I haven't worn heels in 10 years, good thing there were rails everywhere, I made it there and back and put the heels away, not because of the rocking ship, but because my 69 year-old arthritic feet were screaming "help, help, she's killing us." I went to the other "formal" dinners in toenail polish and black flip flops covered with silver spangles with soft soles and 1" heels. Ahhh, much better.
So long lovely shoes. My granddaughter wants them of course, I see them shining in her lovely 13 year-old eyes.


6 Comments:
You look gorgeous and the shoes are gorgeous, although my feet hurt just looking at them. It sounds like you had a great time.
Our poor feet and how we torture them. Never been on a ship. I would be one of those wearing the white patch. I doubt that I would be staring at the soup, I would probably be back in my room retching. More pics?
Are you going to write any more about your cruise? Alaska is on my list...and I,too, am a former Seattlite, Spokanite, Walla Wallan...
My ex-husband spent an entire Caribbean cruise on the top deck playing volleyball because he was so sea-sick and needed the fresh air. My current husband was in the US Navy for 6 years and we both love boats, water, ocean storms, being rocked to sleep on a cruise, etc.
We did have a great. I am sorting through my pictures still, trying to make sure I know what each is. And Katiekono, nice to hear from you, I will be writing more, I'm just still on half speed these days.
Wonderful, wonderful...and I so hope you are going to regale us with Alaska and ship pictures. Thankyou. :) I love that photo of you too. New, young, lively...really nice.
What a cool post, Celia! I'm so glad you went on that cruise. One day I hope to do the Alaska cruise too.
I empathize with you on the shoes. I could not wear heels to save my life anymore. Flip flops are my style, and your black and silver ones sound glamorous!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home