The Call
I've been locked in a spell of introspection and my mind just refuses to shut up the last couple of weeks so I went online and looked up books and then went to the library. Nothing resets the overheated brain like a good book and I got several books including Yannick Murphy's "The Call" from our library's new book shelf and filled my mind with the thoughts of someone else. I couldn't put it down. It's has an unusual format all inside the mind of David Appleton, husband, father of three, neighbor, and veterinarian in a small rural area. It's a mental journal sculpted around "the calls" he gets as a vet. "Call: horse down." And on to "What I saw coming home:" "Things I've said to my wife." Seemed simplistic at first but it's anything but; Murphy's writing reminded me of Cormac McCathy's lean prose. The calls expand, someone who calls and hangs up. Then their 12 year old son is injured in a freak hunting accident and lies in a coma.
It's a small book but gripping and I couldn't put it down. I read until 2am and then got up at 7am and finished it. Time spent totally inside someone else's head. Yannick Murphy is quite a writer and I'm looking forward to reading more of her creations. It certainly derailed my circular thoughts of what I shoulda done or should notta done. Yea, Yannick.
It's a small book but gripping and I couldn't put it down. I read until 2am and then got up at 7am and finished it. Time spent totally inside someone else's head. Yannick Murphy is quite a writer and I'm looking forward to reading more of her creations. It certainly derailed my circular thoughts of what I shoulda done or should notta done. Yea, Yannick.
Labels: books, Yannick Murphy


2 Comments:
I like a book that you can't put down. Have to let everything go until its finished.
Haven'y read this particular one. I'll have to look out for it.
Maggie X
Nuts in May
On my list!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home