My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, September 15, 2011


It's been hot and dusty here.  We are still getting smoke from Oregon fires, the fire up by Goldendale, WA, and clouds of dust from the wheat/hay harvests.  Our sunsets are blood red, and then last night during my grandgirls soccer game it backed off a little.  This morning was clear, cool, and lightly breezy.  The advertised thunder storm was a light sprinkle so I opened all the windows and doors and aired the musty house out.  Refreshing.  About 1pm the wind picked up and the results are pictured above.  I ran around and closed all the windows and doors again.  It still smells better in here and went out to pick up books at the library, duh, I coughed for an hour after just jumping in and out of the car.  The dust storm is gone now, but I know better, still when I get an email from the library saying all the books I put on hold are in, I can't help myself. 

I got the next of Dana Stabenow's Alaskan Kate Shugak series, "Blood Will Tell", and the third of Louise Penny's Quebecois Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series "The Cruelest Month."  So far neither of these women authors have failed me.  Thanks to my friend Merry and friend Nancy for telling me about these books.  Also thank you to Cowtown Pattie's blog for her review of Heather Lende's (another Alaskan) Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs.  Our little rural library didn't have it so I bought it, and it's a wonderful autobiographical tale.  I'm about half way through it.  I got a second hand hardcover so I think I'll give it to our library when I'm done reading it and passing it around.  Thanks Pattie.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sky said...

YIKESSSS @ that smokey mess for people with respiratory problems. be careful! temps dropped here Friday, and i became very cold around 7 pm. it was such a short summer. :(

September 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Sky@Lots of people hiding out inside their houses here lately, cooled off here, Saturday. Slept with full covers last night.

September 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That cloud looks scary! Hope you can breathe o.k., but I know what you mean about running down to the library when your new books are in!

Take care,

September 18, 2011 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Not sure if my longer comment went in because I got cut off the internet as I was sending it.
I just wanted to say what a terrible thing to have to put up with. Scary.
I wish I could send you our dreary, wet and cool weather.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

September 22, 2011 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Have gotten library cards for son's girls at the new library in downtown Vancouver. It's beautiful and so user friendly. When I'm in Vancouver...we've spent whole days there...
I'm reading Heather Lende's book on my kindle and enjoying it. Thanks for the booklist.

September 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home