My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

To Halloween or Not


This is last year's Halloween photo.  Such a joyous little face.  This year two of the grandgirls came over and carved pumpkins.  I didn't take pictures right away and they spoiled in an untimely fashion, pre-Halloween.  Collapsed actually, and grew black fuzz.  That's never happened before.  Piffle.

Last year we got a few dozen of high school or college age kids at the door, our neighborhood is two blocks from Whitman College.  Disconcerting to be looking up at the trick or treater, and they couldn't be bothered to make a feeble attempt at dressing up or putting a mask on.  I feel a Maxine moment coming on.  Oh yes, and then there were the large vans with lots of little Halloweeners being trucked in from miles away, how do I know? I asked.  I can't be po'd at the kids but something about that bothers me.  Some of the dentists in our area have taken a note from the police and are doing a buy-back, giving the kids $ for their candy or a toy.  Last year I gave out Halloween bubble bottles and plastic Halloween "jewelry."  The tall trick or treaters didn't seem to enjoy that so much.  Yup, I am definitely channelling Maxine.  I guess I will drive down to K-Mart and get some candy.  Those little ones are so cute, and shy.  Maxine and I will survive.  Maybe I should wear my black spook cape and a mask myself, nothing too scary, really don't want to scare those little ones.

By the way my favorite Maxine quote today is "At my age strappy shoes means sandals with velcro." 

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sky said...

we enjoy scaring the kids...but only a little. we dress up and make scary noises when we answer the door! usually only frightens the really young ones; the others march right up to the door despite scary night sounds echoing through the gardens and grin when we open the door with out wicked sounds. i got a kick out of the mother saying her young daughter got to our picket fence gate and said she didn't want to come inside because we were the scary people! we are already planning next year's scary stunts!

November 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home