It was announced on the ABC News this was the most successful Black Friday ever, and that the nation was loosening it's purse strings and surely recovery was just around the corner. I thought "idiots" and turned it off. Even in our little, remote city there were people lined up at Sears, and Shopko in the dark. The Walmart was beseiged, no pepper spray though, and the Macy's lot was full. Those I talked to said they had bought Christmas gifts but spent less on those but purchased things like vacuum cleaners, school clothes, $50 blu-rays, that they had been holding off on for months waiting for an excellent price and that they were now done. I think the extra push came from replacing household necessities at a bargain rather than spending up a storm from feeling economic relief.
I am making some gifts myself and did participate in the sale at our JoAnne's. I didn't shop Friday but Saturday went to the smaller home owned places for books, and the like. Still, there are three fresh business closures here. Our liquor stores will be closing due to a referendum here in Washington dismantling the state liquor stores. All those employees will be out of jobs in June. Once Walla Walla was on the list of a 100 best small town downtowns, after restoring old buildings and building up local businesses. Now the empty store fronts are appearing again. It's interesting, second hand shops have replaced furniture stores, consignment shops for kids and women's clothes are thriving, car dealerships shrank. Large farm equipment dealers lost their franchises. The Greyhound bus line no longer stops here. The odd weather hurt the fruit farmers, and the precious wine industry here. I think this dank economy is here to stay for awhile.
How is your town, city, village faring and managing?
I am making some gifts myself and did participate in the sale at our JoAnne's. I didn't shop Friday but Saturday went to the smaller home owned places for books, and the like. Still, there are three fresh business closures here. Our liquor stores will be closing due to a referendum here in Washington dismantling the state liquor stores. All those employees will be out of jobs in June. Once Walla Walla was on the list of a 100 best small town downtowns, after restoring old buildings and building up local businesses. Now the empty store fronts are appearing again. It's interesting, second hand shops have replaced furniture stores, consignment shops for kids and women's clothes are thriving, car dealerships shrank. Large farm equipment dealers lost their franchises. The Greyhound bus line no longer stops here. The odd weather hurt the fruit farmers, and the precious wine industry here. I think this dank economy is here to stay for awhile.
How is your town, city, village faring and managing?

5 Comments:
I think what you describe is throughout the country. I wish I had an answer but it just seems to be getting worse for small businesses and manufacturing in this country. You can imagine where it all is heading-- third world status for us. Amazing how it has happened. The same people who bemoan the loss of the middle class are helping it happen.
I agree. We lived too high on the hog and spent too much and now we must go back the the Little House on the Prairie mood. It will be painful, but it will be good for us.
I asked a math person today if she could explain the fact that the sales were great while more and more folks were homeless and unemployed. Yuck.
Here, G likes his job. What more could one want.
I'm keeping my little veggie garden going. Rain - I couldn't agree more. Mage - glad G still has his job, so far so does my son. Tabor - back to basics for real.
i make sure to notice if empty storefronts are being filled again and feel a song in my heart when i discover a new business coming into a building that has been vacant. very sad to say a nursery i enjoyed visiting as long as we have lived here is now going out of business. during the holidays it is hosting the last sale of inventory. this nursery has been in business for 25+ years! it is family owned and run. i felt so sad when i heard this last sunday. the whole time we shopped i felt too sad to enjoy the discounts. we finally left with 2 ornaments and a piece of garden art. i hate this so much. no one is exempt.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home