I broke my favorite cookbook, my 1967 edition of "The Joy of Cooking." I dropped it on the floor and it disassembled, just barely staying in one piece. The spine is exposed, the front cover is loose, it's just sad. Waa, it's my favorite. I learned to cook for my family using it and it has my grandmother's potato salad recipe glued to the inside cover. The banana bread recipe page is covered with specks of dough from probably hundreds, maybe thousands of loaves of banana bread. I taped low fat and low sugar versions to the opposite page. I experimented with their recipe, I could never get them to taste the way I wanted with both low fat and low sugar. The 1967 serving sizes are just right for me, in later versions they upped the serving sizes as the population started eating more. At my age, if it ever was, more is not a bonus.
I typed "1967 "Joy of Cooking" ' into the search menu and woo, woo, several came up on Amazon. Some with dust jackets, I can't remember if mine ever had one, if it did it disappeared early on. So, I'm crossing my fingers, Amazon don't fail me now. I bought a one listed in "very good" condition (what? didn't they use it?, good for me). Last night I got an email that it had been shipped. I'm so excited, yes, that's what makes me happy. I'm very attached to my cookbooks. This and my "Laurel's Kitchen" are my favorites, although I did get a 1956 Good Housekeeping Cookbook at AAUW book sale two years ago that I've come to love.
That's the last of my lottery money. I actually cashed in on one of my once a month lottery tickets for $100. I bought new slippers, some used Dana Stabenow paperbacks and now a "new" "Joy of Cooking." Merry early Christmas to me, from me.
Labels: cookbooks


5 Comments:
This is such a very cool thing to find another. In the mean time, you can look up book repair in Google and see what you find. G fixed my Fannie Farmer's with hot glue when I did the same thing, but it isn't quite as flexible as it was before. Mother used masking tape, LOL, which doesn't last. I know the favorite cook book can be fixed.
Signed, Mage the cookbook fanatic.
I know what it means to have a cherished cook book damaged. I have one of my mothers from 1944 and she's written all over it. I would be so sad to lose it.
Good luck on replacing yours.
I have a copy that I was given in 1960 or 61, and the cover was so dirty that I covered it with Contact paper sometime in the 70's. I still use it often.
I've had great luck with the used books on Amazon...hope the same for you. Have you ever tried "A Taste of Oregon" cookbook. I have had mine for years and love that thing.
LOL...had to laugh. I have mine too--got it in 1970. It's broken too, but I haven't lost any of it yet..and it's the waffles page that is speckled with batter ! lol
I did find one at a thrift store a couple of years ago that I bought for "just in case"...It's put away til I need it.
(PS--I'm new here --see you again!)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home