North Head Lighthouse - Long Beach, WA
After Christmas nine of us packed up and went to Long Beach, WA. Long Beach is a long drive from here, about 350 miles, mostly on I-84 with hopping back and forth over the WA/OR border. It was raining and dark and we couldn't see much as we crossed over the mouth of the Columbia River on the Astoria Bridge to WA.
Thanks to the Encyclopedia Britannica - view from Astoria
The bridge itself is about 4 miles long with the peak on the south side in Oregon. All sorts of shipping passes under this bridge to continue its travels either upstream or out to the Pacific Ocean bound for just about anywhere you can imagine.
We had a great time in a two bedroom cottage which proved to be cozy and adequate even with six children from 5 to 13 in it. We assembled a new 1000 piece puzzle and played a new game, "Settlers of Catan" a great game, and old ones like Parcheesi. My sister appeared from Portland for one afternoon with her two children and 8 kid sized kimonos rescued from a school theater production. Someone had hand sewn these and someone else had tossed them in the dumpster! The gowns were beautiful and in between rainstorms the girls played badminton, basketball, and tag arrayed in their kimonos looking like lovely winter butterflies.
Now we are home, Christmas is done, but not packed quite away. I've caught a cold and am sore, coughing, sweating, and cannot breed thru my node either. My car has to be taken to a dealer in another city to be repaired. It's covered by the warranty but it never occurred to me when I bought it that the lack of a dealer in our little burg would be a problem. Oh well. Later! For now more tea and a nap. I will lie down and visualize the big waves rolling in at Long Beach, and the piles of delicious cod fish and chips we had.



11 Comments:
Sending you steamy mint tea and lots of rest. I am finally on the mend and it seems that EVERYONE and their uncle is now sick! I personally think it is a terrorist plot.
Celia,
I adore Long Beach and Astoria...such a beautiful part of the world, and when I lived in Portland, we made it up there 2 or 3 times.
Hope you feel better soon...there does seem to be a lot of it going around...
Just lovely, thanks so much for sharing these moments. Have a lovely warm weekend that will fill your mind with smiles.
Hoping you feel better soon. The fish & chips must've cheered you up!
That bridge seems to go on forever!
Maggie X
Nuts in May
so you cannot "breed through your node," huh? :)
hope that has resolved a bit and you are feeling better. wishing for a little beach retreat myself.
Sounds like a wonderful place for a vacation. Astoria bridge looks awesome!
So sorry you have a cold. Do take care of yourself. There is a lot of that going around. Two of my grands came down with pneumonia before Christmas.
Sending love and light
RYN, I think it may be an orthopedist rather than a podiatrist. I will know when I call on Monday or Tuesday.
Know it well. If I'm not mistaken, Long Beach peninsula is the one place on the whole west coast you do not want to be during a tsunami. There's no "up" to go to. Sorry if this wrecks your relaxation next time.
a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! We have been asorbed by our up coming move 350 miles south to the Mt Shasta area of California. and now I too ave a cold- so wishing yu a speedy recovery also! I love readin your family tales-you are all lucky to have each other! Cheers!
I've been missing seeing your thoughts here. I do appreciate your notes, but it's not the same as reading. I hope you are ok....silly me to worry, but it's been almost a month. Take care of you.
Another place on my list to visit. So glad you got to go and spend time with family. Feel better soon!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home