My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Friday, February 24, 2012


It's been quite a week.  We had two days of big wind here with 60mph gusts.  The second time I chased after my recycle bin I heard a crash in the backyard and voila.  Two of the five sections of fence between me and the alley are down.  The other three are damaged.  The post broke off at the ground and the gate is broken.  I never used that gate and now I don't need too, ha!  Fortunately insurance will help and someone is coming to rebuild the fence, sans gate, it's cheaper that way anyhow.  We have two babies in the family who will be crawling and running by summer so a securely fenced yard is a good thing.  We'll be able to sit under that huge tree you can see to the left in the picture.  It shades two thirds of the back yard and with our summer heat its a blessing.  A great place for a kiddie pool and and chair for grandma.

Good news, I also found out this week the arthritis that's been bothering me all winter is just garden variety arthritis, nothing exotic, just annoying.  Got a bone scan and it was good too.  I'll 70 in another month and its nice to know I have ordinary wear and tear on a body that has been well used. 

Weel used, well a little overused as yesterday I tripped on a curb coming out of a store and landed smack on my face on the pavement yesterday afternoon.  I remember hitting the pavement and the back of my head hurting.  The ER doctor explained that as we age, sigh, our brains shrink and it probably smacked into the back of my skull.  The space apparently fills with little veins and tissue and that is one of the places where bleeding can occur from head injuries.  People ran up to help, some of which I don't actually remember.  They tucked me into a chair in the store with my packages and purse and put something cold on my face.  I refused the 911 and called my son Dave instead.  He came quickly took me to the ER, I was having trouble walking, and had a black eye by the time he came.  I have a slight concussion, still some nausea today, and a bump on my chin as well as goose egg on my eyebrow.  My family is famous for their hard heads, the store is lucky the paving wasn't broken.  My footwork is still a little unstable today, and I suppose I won't be driving for awhile but nothing is broken.  My nose and my teeth are unscathed, hooray.  I told Dave we should gather evergreens and take a picture for my Christmas card.  All that's needed is a witty one liner.  Any suggestions?

5 Comments:

Blogger Tabor said...

So sorry about the spill. But you are fortunate that nothing more serious was injured...more serious than your dignity. Hope you are feeling better.

February 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

So glad about the nose and teeth. Last time I fell, it was my knee. I know you will get better faster. So sorry about the expense of your fence tho. Lovely yard. You take care of you...we care.

February 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger MerryGee said...

grandma got run over by a reindeer? soooo sorry Celia! please let me know if i can do anything???

February 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

"Face it- it's Christmas Time"?
Have some home made chicken soup today- good for healing!!!

February 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Good suggestions Merry and Kathe, made me laugh, thanks!

February 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home