Doctor Shortage
Cartoon by Jean Sorensen
I'm off to the physical therapist this morning for the second to last visit for the aftermath of tripping into the bathtub. Contrary to the cartoon they never make me wait, in fact they scoot me right in even if I'm early. The problem turns out to be the return visit to my primary doctor. I'm supposed to see her for follow-up for this and a returning infection. I have an appointment for October 31, Halloween two months away and I had an appointment scheduled for last week. They cancelled have no openings until the Halloween date, hope they are handing out candy. I've been waiting for two months to see someone about a possibly cancerous spot on my face, I got moved up two days this week. It's not just me its happening to many of my friends too. Doctor shortage? One son experienced the same thing so perhaps its not just Medicare patients. Fortunately there is a "Convenient Care" Clinic here run by the same outfit. No appointment, waiting sometimes an hour, but you get in when you are sick and receive treatment. I noticed however they are down to two physicians from four and have cut their hours. My pulmonologist is now running a 6 Sigma program (an efficiency process) at the hospital and is unavailable often for long periods of time. There has been a new pulmonologist added to his practice though fortunately.
A New York Times article dated July 12, 2012 America's Doctor Shortage it says:
"Experts describe a doctor shortage as an “invisible problem.” Patients still get care, but the process is often slow and difficult. In Riverside, it has left residents driving long distances to doctors, languishing on waiting lists, overusing emergency rooms and even forgoing care." It's a disturbing article. Living in a small city in a rural area it's true here too. Yes, I left Seattle to retire here, partly because there were two decent hospitals with associated clinics here. But until recently if you had a heart event they had to fly you to Spokane, Seattle, or Portland. The neurosurgeon left and in the time it took to replace him anyone who had head trauma had to be medivaced out the area as well. Often to Harborview in Seattle. Medivac insurance is a popular product here. I see more and more doctor's here from India, all over Asia really, and Romania and the other Eastern European countries; they want to come here and we need them. Sometimes there are language problems though. A physician in Seattle from a Middle Eastern country and poor language skills confused my asthma drug Aminophylline with the drug for Amitriptyline, an antidepressant, 300 mg straight across and put me in a coma for a few hours. No, I didn't sue their socks off, I survived and am much more careful. I always ask what they are giving me and why. More reason to accompany your friends and relatives through their hospital visits.
I don't have a solution, just pondering. Tough times. Meanwhile I keep calling to keep myself on the list for cancellations, or off I go to Convenient Care. Luckily for me that is only 5 minutes away. There are advantages to living in a small town.


6 Comments:
I have heard it's the AMA that has limited how many doctors get into training to keep profits up. I don't know but it will be more of a problem with more people receiving care until we as a people demand more doctors in training. I can get in pretty quickly for a routine visit but a physical is a two month deal. We have immediate care from same clinic and it's what is always there.
Doctors get paid less and have more paperwork. The elderly population is on an increase. The math means more waitng and fewer doctors to go around.
I learned that someone in the family has to go on all doctor visits with my mom as her doctor is from India and very hard to understand. Plus mom only hears what she wants to hear...
Be careful out there!
And too, fewer doctor's go into general practice most opting for a specialty that offers more money. Take that infection and maybe-cancer off to the clinic post haste. I'll join you with my lists at my GP's office, and hopefully she won't say what she did last year. "Bring these in as separate issues later" when in reality these are the issues today.
Six days and I'm in to get the thingy on my face removed and back to "Convenient Care" with the infection, forget November.
More than half the time I am seen by a Nurse practioner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse_practitioner
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home