Summer Goodies
Whirring up a cooked pie pumpkin for lasagne and pie. I got that Osterizer as a wedding gift in 1966.
At my daughter-in-law's suggestion I've been following a blog called Once A Month Mom with recipes and methods to freeze up a month's worth of meals at a time. The portions I freeze are small in the main. Dinner for eight is eight dinners for me. I'm nowhere near a month's worth of food but have been making 2-3 servings and freezing the extra so the inventory grows. I'm certain there are many of you who figured this out long before I did. I got tired of having toast and cheese or canned soup if I was tired, lazy, or uninspired about cooking. I've invested some bucks in freezer containers that are microwavable. I didn't think I'd be interested in a day of marathon cooking but it turned out it was fun if tiring.
Lately regular tomato sauce laden recipes are giving me heartburn and was delighted to find this lasagne recipe butternut squash lasagna on Once A Month Mom. I substituted pie pumpkins for butternut and it was delicious. And it keeps well if you put it in the freezer unbaked.
During my whole day cooking I made my first ever chiffon pumpkin pie from scratch. It was good too. I took it over to my son's house as two days with a pumpkin pie would fatten me up, but they have 10 people to feed so no one is likely to gorge on it as I would. Especially after two days of toast and canned soup. I still have several 1 1/2 cup containers in there to do it again. I'm too lazy to want to bake and scrape pumpkins anytime I want to make a pie.
Here's the sun trying to shine through the thick air one morning last week. You could have watched an eclipse with your eyes. Today is clear and glorious. I went for a walk this morning and the air smells clean, crisp, and the leaves appear to be falling because of the season and not just from lack of water.
Anyone know why what is typed in a new post looks so different than in the preview page? I'm not the best at this but what a puzzle! Hope your weekend has been good to you.

2 Comments:
Celia, your cooking is making me hungry. I, too, have noticed some font foolishness since I've been back.
I used to do this cook ahead but not recently. I do make ahead baked goods and things like pesto and chicken stock to freeze. You will eat more healthy.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home