My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thanks to KVEW-TV for this view of the sun four days ago near Kennewick.

Haze in the foothills of the Blue Mountains looking over Lake Bennington, Walla Walla, WA
 
Today morning came with a dirty yellowish light.  Dark enough that my neighbors and I have our lights on.  Sunrise was at around 7am but you'd hardly know it.  We have a thick smoky haze here coupled with an inversion and little wind here.  The smoke is from fires here in Eastern Washington.  It is bad enough to keep people with health problems inside for the duration and to cancel some outdoor school athletics but it is not at its worst here in Walla Walla.  There are over a 240 fires burning in Washington alone, a huge one is burning near Sisters, Oregon, and many in Idaho.  There's an easterly wind that has sent the creeping smoke over the Cascade Mountains and into Seattle today as well as being funneled up the Columbia River Gorge into Portland, Oregon.  In many places it looks like the smokes of Mordor.  We are lucky though.  We are not the ones who have lost their homes, or are packed up watching the fire come closer and the evacuation call to come.   There are more than 4000 firefighters working in Washington right now.  One hundred from British Columbia have arrived and more are expected from other provinces.  No rain in sight.  Good time for a trip to the ocean if you can do it.  Bless you if you are in the thick of this, here or in other states. 

7 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Even down here our air isn't so good from those fires but obviously not that thick. I took a picture some years back in Montana of a sun like that one in Yellowstone. It's quite the effect but not good for lungs or eyes. I hope they soon get them out. The Sisters one is hitting on one of my favorite areas east of the Cascades.

September 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

RYN: I admit that I had help the first time from G. It is easy but not quite intuitive. If you get to your actual brick and mortar library, they delight in showing folks how. :)

So sorry that you are living in such a miserable smoke pit. Today here isn't bad, but the last few days has seen us wallowing in Mexican smog. Hugs.

September 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Looking like Mordor certainly puts in view for those of us enjoying a crisp and dry fall. I am so sorry for everyone! Forest will take years to return to their roles as shelter and shade. (Do wish you would not have blogger used the comment moderation...it is such a pain as I have typed the letters 3,now 4, times without success.)

September 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Tabor, I think I found the right permissions and changed it.

September 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So weird to wake up and find ash on the outdoor surfaces; and still flying through the air as recently as an hour ago . . . . Merry

September 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Grannymar said...

That smoky atmosphere does not sound great, I know I would have bother with it. Stay safe.

September 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

It was very...very smokey all the way from Vancouver to Cali when I came down last week. Not a good thing. Stay safe!

September 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home