My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Turn the Porch Light Off

I found this on a blog.  You can see More at designboom.  It's quite a collection.  I liked this one best.

I'm doing something different for Halloween this year.   A new tradition, turning the porch light off and leaving.  I'm not going to be home.  I like parties, but Halloween has gone from trick or treats for the neighborhood kidlets in their costumes to people filling their vans with bundles of kids of kids from elsewhere.  I live near a college and in recent years there are quite a few late arriving college students in masks or not, showing up with their large goodie bags.  Piffle.

For a long time my son would come over and answer the door with me and we would watch Halloween offerings on TV, or Netflix now.  He's working nights now and I miss the company.  My grandkids (can't call them the grandgirls any longer as we've added a boy making 8 all together) don't usually make it over here.  Unless its a weekend they still go to bed on time.  So I am fixing trick or treat bags for the three little girls next door and my grandkids and delivering them early and going out.  I had been handing out some candy and small bubble bottles with ghosts, witches, and goblins for lids.  I get them and other small toys cheaply from mail order houses.  They can be less expensive than candy, and I think add a little fun to the process.  This year since I'm only doing 11 kids I ordered Halloween rubber duckies, one for each kid and one left over for me.   I will put a pumpkin out, but several times someone has nicked it and smashed it in the street.

The kids who want more will not suffer.  Our small town's downtown merchants and several churches have Halloween treats and activities set up for children so there are nice brightly lit places for parents to take the kids or the older kids to go and receive candy and be entertained in some cases.  Except for the tiny ones in their costumes I won't miss it at all.  I will take a evening stroll around town so I will get to see the kids in their outfits anyhow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

It has been years since i lived where there was trick or treating. Out here it's too dangerous and they go to town if they do it. When we were in Tucson a few times on the date, nobody came up our short road, not enough houses and too far apart. they head for developments. Before I realized that, I'd buy treats but end up tossing them if I didn't eat too many. These days I can't afford sugar at all so fortunate I don't live where it's an issue.

October 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger marciamayo said...

I live in a third floor condo and the door downstairs stays locked so I don't have to mess with trick or treating. I am, however, taking two of my grandkids to their school "Fall Festival" which is the politically correct name for what used to be the Halloween carnival. I should have my head examined.

October 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Times are changing. Very different from when we grew up. My daughter lives in a nice neighborhood of older homes and everyone is either old or has small children. So, it is still perfect for trick and treating.

October 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

oh yes indeedy- we have done that for years now- usually we're in Mexico for Day of the Dead- we would give our neighbors candy to hand out with theirs and they always get a good crowd since they hand out mini Spanish coffees for the adults! What a hoot.
The neiborhood doesn't get any one other than the local kids-which is nice.
The pumpkin you have posted is amazing- looks like fun to make!
Thanks for all yur nice comments-I have been remiss in visiting your blog-and I always enjoy reading it. We don't have any grandchildren and we have moved from where our nieces and nephews were nearby-so I do miss the little guys. Have fun on Halloween doing what you want to do! We'll be in Mexico where the kids run around screaming "Halloween Halloween" and the teenagers drive in open pickups throwing candy to the kids... a variation on Halloween...

October 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

I know that the USA makes a big thing of Halloween and over here we tend not to , though it is catching on a bit. I'm afraid that most people leave their lights out in the front & keep the door firmly shut & carry on with their lives as normal. Of course there are parties and people with young kids get involved but not like it is over your way.
Loved the pumpkin though.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

October 19, 2012 at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home