My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Waiting

Family picnic with sister Pam, myself, and cousin Sam.
 
Friday our sister Pam was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Friday was a day of disbelief, anger, helplessness, Saturday was kind of a numb day, Sunday the crying started.  Then speculation, hope. practical matters and today she and her hubbie go to see the oncologist with their long list of questions.  I expect these feelings will keep cycling through.
 
Meanwhile she waits, we wait.  She and we with her are stunned, fearful, pragmatic, making lists, trying to figure out what help means.  She and I talk on the phone sitting at our computers looking up information and trading various links by email, talking, mostly talking.  I live about 230 miles away from her, close enough to drive but seeming like a 1,000 when you want to run over and hug her.  And I am trying to plan out how to be there for her for the long haul.  For now I'm in the middle of a hacking cold and don't dare share those bugs with her.  Fortunately our two other sisters are close by.  Soon I'll be there even if I have to keep my distance for a bit. 
 
Any prayers you might think to offer up for her would be great. 

11 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

That is frightening but the treatments are so much better today especially if it's caught early. Think positive and hopefully it will be an unpleasant season for you all but leading to many years of good health. It's the way most such diagnoses work out.

November 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks Rain, you're right about the improved treatments. I am ever hopeful.

November 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

I'm really sorry to hear this........ however, so much can be done today and breast cancer can be cured if its caught early and people can live for years even if it isn't. Have hope.
Hugs and prayers.......
Maggie X

Nuts in May

November 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

I can do prayers. I so hope they caught it early. Hugs to you too.

November 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I am so sorry. I have been there with my sister's diagnosis of cancer. It was in the middle of a very busy life for me with two teenagers and a job change and I carry guilt for not being their more.

November 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Hope to hear something today, will call her this morning and Tabor, I do feel guilty that I can't be there right now. And sad for her.

November 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Pearl said...

Oh, I'm so sorry.

Prayers to her -- and the whole family -- from Minneapolis,

Pearl

November 16, 2012 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger Peruby said...

If you do decide to go, you can always wear one of those surgical masks. At this critical time, everyone needs a laugh, anyway.

Sending best wishes to you and your family. I love, love, love my sisters.

November 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks Peruby, I could use magic marker and paint lips and a nose on the mask. ;-0

November 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news, Celia. It seems like everywhere you turn, somebody has breast cancer. It sucks, bigtime!!!

Sending hugs and prayers for all of you. I'm glad you have such a loving, supportive family and hope that before long, you can all look back at this and say "We made it!No more cancer!!"

November 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Jenny Woolf said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Treatments for breast cancer have greatly improved in recent years, and I feel she will benefit from this.

November 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home