My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012


I got my Christmas packages mailed away yesterday even though news radio announced this would be the busiest mailing day of the year.  The line was only three other people in the little town next door to us making it quite worth the short six minute drive.  There are some advantages to moving away from a large city.

I put the wreath up on the door, the public announcement.  Got the little fake tree and creche up in the living room, the private view.  Need some more lights somewhere inside.  One of my favorite Christmas things is sitting in the dark with the lights on.

Sent out some Christmas cards for the first time in probably four years.  One remains as I am writing a real letter to put in it.

I missed the annual "ThankMas" family gathering last Saturday here.  Poop! It's a gathering of 30+ people who like to have the holidays in their own home but want to see each other and will travel to between Thanksgiving and Christmas do this.  My DIL stopped by on their way by to check on me and deliver the salad I had made.  I had an allergic reaction to medicine and probably the tape I applied to a small surgery to remove a precancerous growth under my nose.  My whole face swelled up and a large area broke out in weeping blisters.  I am pretty much allergic to everything.  I went for treatment.  No wheezing but my eyes were almost swollen shut.  They fixed me.  Must stick to paper tape, that works.  I went home epi-pen at the ready and slept through the afternoon and early evening Saturday.  The rash was mostly gone along with the swelling.  I then slept until 10am Sunday morning.  By evening I even the normal swelling had gone away. 

My eldest son came over to shower.  His apartment was without water for repairs and he had to go to work.  He thinks I need more lights too.  Gave him a big hug when he left. 

Praying for all in this saddest Christmas time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

well that's no fun on the allergic reaction. I like creches. Yours is pretty. I have a big collection of Christmas villages also but haven't done any of it this year with coming to Tucson. I have toyed with the idea of some decorating here but there is so much to do with repairs and all to get it ready for the vacation rental season that I decided that was foolish.

December 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Sorry to read about your reaction, what a bummer...
I've not put up anything but one lonesome wreath... the bah humbug has me in it's clutches... need a swift kick in the kee'ster

December 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks Rain, I got this creche at the Grotto in Portland many years ago.
Brighid, I had a little trouble unloading the bah humbug too.

December 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

My favorite part of decorating is putting up the Christmas village :)

December 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Sky said...

gosh, celia, i am sorry to read that you had such a time and glad you are better. i developed a tape allergy for the first time in my life post surgery in 2009. it now includes even band-aids, so i can only use paper tape and gauze. our bodies do some weird things!

December 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Grannymar said...

How awful, that you had such an allergic reaction.

I finished painting & decorating today and am putting back all the bits and pieces between comments. Not sure if I will bother with a tree and other decorations this year.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy 2013!

December 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home