My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Memories of Mom


After my birthday came memories of my mother.  She's been gone twenty years this year, done in by emphysema and a lifetime of smoking.  One of my strongest memories of her is that she got up very early, sometimes as early as 4am to have "some time to myself" as she lived with four daughters and Dad in a not so large house.  I can see her sitting quietly at the kitchen table with a cigarette burning in her ashtray and what was probably the third cup of coffee in the morning, sugar and cream.  In a really early memory I was looking up at her as she popped leftover pie dough in the oven to make treats.   You know maybe, the kind where you butter the raw dough and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on it.  Then you slice it and roll it into tiny bun-like goodies and bake them?  She was in a skirt and sweater and shoes with little heels on them.  Unlike me whose daily costume seems to be jeans and tees, I don't think she wore a pair of jeans ever in her life.
 
 
About a year after our mother died my father hired a small plane and with three daughters scattered her ashes on the seaward side of Haystack rock at Cannon Beach.  Cannon Beach was where he and Mom had spent their brief honeymoon after their wedding in Portland in 1941.
 
Mom and me in Seattle 1942.
 
Her name was Rosemary and she looks like a child herself to me in this picture.  I was their first baby and Mom liked to tell me I was also the first baby she had ever held.  She had no siblings and was often shocked and upset at the quibbling and arguing that went on with her daughters.  "I'd of loved to have had a sister," she'd say, "I was so lonesome."  "Here take mine," we'd say.  Now I miss my sisters and I belatedly realize what she'd been telling us.  Although she still needed her morning time without us.  

8 Comments:

Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

What a beautiful retrospective about Rosemary your mother. Very moving.

March 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Such deep and tough memories you have. We are complicated souls raised by complicated souls.

March 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Peruby said...

Very similar to my mom. She was an only child and she had eight children. She "put up with a lot".

She has been gone for eleven years now and like yours, I do not believe she ever wore a pair of jeans unless it was in her very early childhood or teen years.

I love my sisters and brothers with all my heart and will miss them SO much. Time marches on and brings us closer and closer to a day when we will have to deal with the first one that goes. Sigh.

March 20, 2013 at 4:14 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Celia- what a lovely memories of your Mother. She sonds a lot like how my mom was. Up early with her coffee and a cigarette. She's been gone now for 27 years. I still miss her.

March 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

I lovely reflection of your Mum. She was a very young but beautiful mum and I was born in the same year as you!. Right bang in the middle of WW2.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

March 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Grannymar said...

Nice memories and a lovely photo of you as a baby with your mother.

March 24, 2013 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

Love the pictures.
I got up early and had breakfast with my grandfather. Mother was still in bed at that hour, and after my school she was just having her first after work martini. No siblings here either.

March 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Such beautiful and poignant memories, Celia. You mom does look like a child herself in that photo. And you - such a little sweetie!

March 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home