April Beginings
Today I am off to my first Tai Chi class. It's the restart of an exercise program for me. I fell a couple of times in the last year and have been inactive ever since. I used to go to the gym several times a week. While I haven't gained any weight my muscles turned to mush during that recovery year. My balance is still off and I think this class will help fix that. I'm also looking forward to meeting new people.
There has been just enough April sun here to give me itchy feet. I love getting in the van and seeing new and very old things in the Oregon/Washington area. This spring I'd like to start on Idaho. For now I am touring old pictures from April of 2010, Sumpter, Oregon, a tiny remnant of a gold boom. Gold was discovered in Sumpter in 1862. In 1912 a dredge was built for placer mining. Three dredges were built between 1912 and 1934. The hills of tailings are still intact after 100 years, so much so they appear on the maps to the west of Phillips Lake and on Google maps. A reminder for Earth Day of the long lasting impact of mining and other industrial operations. This area is between 6,500 to 7,000 feet in the beautiful Oregon Cascades. I have COPD and could only move a few yards at a time at a snail's pace there. If you have breathing problems be careful; I'd check with your doctor before going but it's more than worth the trip.
There has been just enough April sun here to give me itchy feet. I love getting in the van and seeing new and very old things in the Oregon/Washington area. This spring I'd like to start on Idaho. For now I am touring old pictures from April of 2010, Sumpter, Oregon, a tiny remnant of a gold boom. Gold was discovered in Sumpter in 1862. In 1912 a dredge was built for placer mining. Three dredges were built between 1912 and 1934. The hills of tailings are still intact after 100 years, so much so they appear on the maps to the west of Phillips Lake and on Google maps. A reminder for Earth Day of the long lasting impact of mining and other industrial operations. This area is between 6,500 to 7,000 feet in the beautiful Oregon Cascades. I have COPD and could only move a few yards at a time at a snail's pace there. If you have breathing problems be careful; I'd check with your doctor before going but it's more than worth the trip.
Sumpter, Oregon, old gold mining site. This is all that remains of the Sumpter Bank. Just the vault.
Phillips Lake on the Sumpter Stage Highway back to Baker City, Oregon. It's behind Mason Dam and extends all the way back up to the mining tailings. Lots of fishing and camping here.
Old log barn on the Sumpter Stage Highway


4 Comments:
Oh, what a wonderful trip. Thanks for sticking us in your pocket on this one. :)
Let us know how your Tai Chi class went!!
p.s. I have always wanted to visit Oregon.
Celia- you will love Tai Chi! and I have been to all those places you photographed! Love that part of Oregon.
Mage - it was wonderful, the place smelled like piney woods the whole time.
Optimist - so far so good with the class. Oregon is so interesting, beautiful places and lots of history.
Kathe - I'm not surprised you've been there, keep exploring.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home