My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Outside town the fields are greening up but not all the trees have budded out yet.  The sycamores are some of the last to leaf.  The sun has left us today and the tops of the neighboring Blue Mountains have snow on them again.  I meant to get more pictures in the sun yesterday but got busy hauling stuff to the local St. Vinnies and cleaning the house, shoulda done earlier or later. 

I've been signing online petitions protesting the chained CPI, and started calling yesterday.  Ronni Bennett's blog http://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/ has information today about who to call.  The amounts of money removed by from us by a chained CPI may not matter to legislators who have fine health bennies and a good salary but those amounts would make a quite difference for purchasing food, medications, and paying utility bills out of the slender budgets of many "Social Security beneficiaries, certain veterans, certain disabled people" to quote Ronni. 

My two sisters are now post breast cancer surgery and post radiation.  Both are struggling with having had a disease that they will now have to watch out for forever.  We are both blessed with such good outcomes (not perfect but good) and concerned for the future.  It's hard to live your life as usual when you need to be attentive to this forever.  It's the same if you have heart disease, or diabetes, or any other of those diseases which can kill or hurt you in some way.  For the most part we are a resilient group and a family of problem solvers.  Still by the end of this three of us were taking antidepressants.  I'm currently trying to get off mine, they don't agree with me.  They gave me bad dreams and me twitches in places I didn't know could twitch.  The medicine also left me constantly idling in neutral, helpful for a bit I suppose but not good in the long run. 


I was told they were not addictive but then why can't you just stop them without repercussions, what are brain zaps? Hmm?  So three months of them and I am done, done, done.  Maybe it's time to make a tin foil hat instead.  So I looked up tin foil hats on the images search on G00gle and wow!  Some were quite creative.  Quite a selection but truly I liked this tee shirt below best, not enough to buy it, be fun to magic marker up an old tee.  I think I will buy a roll of heavy duty foil and the next time my grandkids come over and have "nothing to do" I will set them to making their own tin foil hats.
 
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Thank God for good outcomes for both of your sisters Celia. My continued thoughts, prayers, and well-wished go out to them.

April 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Celia- one can only do so much....just focus on family! xoxo

April 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger grannymar said...

Good news that your sisters are doing well.

Were those tablets of the Prozac family? I heard a programme about the damage they do and swore I would never touch them. I remember reading a few years ago the only 60% of all the prescribed medications actually work for the patients.

Any chance that you could add the Name/URL option for comments. The only other one above that I am able to use take you to outer space. :(

Grannymar

April 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Grannymar, I believe they are the same family of pills, SSRIs. I will try to add the name/url thingy. Be patient, my success altering my blog page is very low ;-)

April 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home